sick fish.... nitrates help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sterling

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone, emergency!!!!... one of my fish is laying on the bottom of the tank, just breathing. He has been very inactive for the last couple of days and i just tested my nitrates. They are very, very high, I feel like i failed my aquarium, but does any one know of any techniques to reduce nitrates ASAP at midnight? thanks

sick fish, High nitrates help!

Hey everyone, emergency!!!!... one of my fish is laying on the bottom of the tank, just breathing. He has been very inactive for the last couple of days and i just tested my nitrates. They are very, very high, I feel like i failed my aquarium, but does any one know of any techniques to reduce nitrates ASAP at midnight? thanks

Partial Water Change!!! how high are they? Or if you have any Amquel+ laying around that would work for a quikc fix until you can do a PWC.. But to be honest it sounds like it is too late to save that fish. But get the nitrates down before others start to die too.

Change 9 gallons, make sure the temp, ph and salinity matches!

Partial Water Change!!! how high are they? Or if you have any Amquel+ laying around that would work for a quikc fix until you can do a PWC.. But to be honest it sounds like it is too late to save that fish. But get the nitrates down before others start to die too.

well I only had water available to change 3 so i have done that. Im going to do another 6 then. How does that sound, although im not confident the fish will make it. I still want to fix things

well I only had water available to change 3 so i have done that. Im going to do another 6 then. How does that sound, although im not confident the fish will make it. I still want to fix things

10% is better than nothing. What were your nitrates at before the change? And after the pwc?

My readings were at 160 the first time, and last tuesday they were at 10 just after my 10% water change that i do weekly. The second reading was just slightly different coloured after my water change tonight. My gf has fead them alot of mysces shrimp and seaweed and lettuce though lately. I shall continue with another water change though

Tank is just over 2 months old yeah. Do you think it could be due to the bio-balls causing a nitrate spike? What about over feeding? and thanks alot for you inputs

I tested everything else in my aquarium yes and everything is fine. My new 6 gallons im doing i will test ph, salt conc. and the only water i can use is from the tap right now, and the nitrates have read at 5ppm. But that is alot better than 160

Tank is just over 2 months old yeah. Do you think it could be due to the bio-balls causing a nitrate spike? What about over feeding? and thanks alot for you inputs

Slowly replace your bio balls with live rock rubble. This will help you keep your Nitrates down in a big way. And yes, over feeding and under skimming will cause high nitrates too.

Back
Top Bottom