Sick gbr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steamboatwilly

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a GBR that I have had for almost 2 yrs. 75 gal freshwater com. partially planted tank. He is the biggest fish, rest are tetras and what. About 20 total. So last sun I noticed he was not eating. Kept an eye on him. Mon comes I see him picking around but still hiding. Not normal behavior. I noted the his stomach area look like it was slowly sucking. Almost like he is starving. Normal diet of bloodworms, flakes and pellets. 1 day is skipped to allow further digestion. I have banjo and raphel catfish so I usually always a couple pellets on the skipped day.
Anyway wed comes and belly is more sucked than before. I get my 5 gallon shrimp tank and empty it. Add water, dechlorinator and filter. Let it regulate and run Tuesday into wed. Add 5 ml of mela and primafix. Put GBR in and he looks worse by next day.
75g info
Less than . 05 nitrites
Zero ammonia
20% weekly water changes
2 filters running. Rena xp2 and 55g hob filter for added water movement. 78* f water
No other fish have died recently and none are showing signs of problems.
So I changed the water in the 5 gal and some new water and tank water. Let it regulate for 24 then put GBR back in. Seems to swim ok but his eye looks cloudy on one and not other. I have seen fleck himself a few times but excessive. Skin is darker colors or he was literally 50% pale and 50% color. Any ideas?

If you've had him for 2 years it may just be old age. They don't live very long

The only fish that would be an issue is my beta. They been in the tank together since June. I have never seen any chasing. The tank sits in our dining room so I can see it easily

I was wondering about the nitrites also. But it's less .05. I also use prime.

I tried to get some pics. Hope it helps. See how he is pale. I don't like the 5 gal tank. It's not helping. He is only fish in there

Attachments

• image-1023898138.jpg
    image-1023898138.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 51
  • image-1531890057.jpg
    image-1531890057.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 54
I have seen them go at and my Betta swims all over the. But its a 75g. I am not sure. I could move Betta to 5 gal. But at this point is the GBR to far to save. Seems like he's getting pop eye now also. Maybe I should just the coldwater bath.

Steamboatwilly said:
I have seen them go at and my Betta swims all over the. But its a 75g. I am not sure. I could move Betta to 5 gal. But at this point is the GBR to far to save. Seems like he's getting pop eye now also. Maybe I should just the coldwater bath.

I can't test for nitrates only nitrites.

Steamboatwilly said:
I have seen them go at and my Betta swims all over the. But its a 75g. I am not sure. I could move Betta to 5 gal. But at this point is the GBR to far to save. Seems like he's getting pop eye now also. Cant test for nitrates only nitrites. I got the liquid test kit. Maybe I should just the coldwater bath.

Not sure why either

Back
Top Bottom