Sick Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jarozi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So the history of this goldfish can be read here.

Long story short, the fish hasn't eaten in 4 days and has a cloudy eye (the other is fine) and perhaps popeye?

I'm new at this so bear with me.

The water read like this last night (0.25 a, 0 na, 0 ni, 8.2ph)

Can anyone suggest something for the cloudy eye and / or confirm this fish has popeye?

Also trying to figure what to do to get our little fishy to eat. Guessing it's all related?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Goldfish Rina 006.jpg
    Goldfish Rina 006.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 127
Well, your tank doesn't seem to be cycled (nitrogen cycle). Do water changes every day, or every other day. The clean water will help with the pop-eye also (yes, it looks like he has it).
Since he has pop-eye AND a cloudy eye, I would think it's internal parasites, and I would ge some anti-parasitic food ASAP.
His tail fin also looks like it's been nipped or it's rotting off, and clean water should help that grow back also.

Since the tank is only 20 gallons, I wouldn't get any more fish. Comets can grow up to 12 inches if they are provided enough space. Not providing enough space causes the insides to keep growing, but not the outside body, so they have much shorter lifespans.

Also, I know you didn't mention it, but the box of filter media says to change it out every month or so, DON'T. Only change your filter media if it's falling apart, and if it gets gunky, rinse it in old tank water.

Unfortunately she's not eating so I can't medicate that way yet. I started a cycle of Tetracycline last night. I'll get the food in case she starts eating soon.

Poor fish!
I'd isolate him in a calm, very clean sick tank treated with Maracyn. Do you keep one around for these types of things? I think that should help with her a little bit.

Have you tried a salt bath? Maybe that could help.

I had a fish with popeye a few years ago and the clean, calm tank with frequent water changes helped quite a bit. I cleaned out the main tank while the other was in the fish hospital and waited until it was all better before returning the formally sick fish. Good Luck!! :)

Poor fish!
I'd isolate him in a calm, very clean sick tank treated with Maracyn. Do you keep one around for these types of things? I think that should help with her a little bit.

Have you tried a salt bath? Maybe that could help.

I had a fish with popeye a few years ago and the clean, calm tank with frequent water changes helped quite a bit. I cleaned out the main tank while the other was in the fish hospital and waited until it was all better before returning the formally sick fish. Good Luck!! :)

Thanks for all the advice, I'm happy to say at this point the fish appears to be on the road to recovery. I did move her into a hospital tank (bucket) and did a 5-day cycle of Maracyn one and two. A couple of days into that she started eating again!

At the end of the 5 day cycle (Tuesday) her eyes were back in her head though the cloudy one is still cloudy. So I started her on the recommended anti-parasite Jungle food and moved her back into her permanent home, where she is presently the only fish.

Thanks again everyone for the advice!

Make sure to keep up daily water changes. Many times this is the only treatment needed for the fish to recover on its own.

Back
Top Bottom