Sick gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

connor31556

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys I have a 20 gallon tall tank with 2 female swordtails 4 female guppies 2 male guppies 1 corydora 1 nerite snail and 1 male gourami. The tank has been setup for around 15 months and I put the water parameters that I just took post water change down below my problem is the male gourami he has been sitting tilted upwards in the back corner ( this is the corner of death on my tank any fish that stays there a long time usually is there to die) he was fine for a month and then he started doing this a few days ago and I dont know why everyone else is fine all thriving and this guy is barely surviving I have an anubias barteri in the middle which is doing fine and a couple of those tall plants still babies growing in the back (I forgot the name of them) the first time I had a gourami it didnt go anywhere and just sat at the bottom and after a while it was nipped at and died I really don't wanna lose another one and am looking for any tips to help get this one better ps I forgot to mention earlier but he hasent eaten in a couple days and when he did eat he didnt eat that much again thank you guys.

Attachments

• 1553365576846.jpg
    1553365576846.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 1553365590743.jpg
    1553365590743.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 1553365630415.jpg
    1553365630415.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 73
Is there enough oxygen in there for him? Like do you have an airstone or live plants? Do you leave the water an inch from the lid?

Ok is he gasping for air? If not he could just be shy or stressed.
Is he showing any signs of having a parasite?

He is keeping his nooglehump (I think that's what it's called) on the surface but hes not gulping air more than normal. He was fine and then he just started doing this

I'm on my phone so it won't let me paste a link but I reccomend that you google signs of internal parasite in fish and see if you recognize any symptoms.

I've read through the diseases that he could have and I think that it's an internal parasite. To get rid of this can I give him salt dips? And if not will he be able to fight it with just clean water. Or is medication the only option because at the moment I do not have another tank to put him in

You're other fish should be fine if you medicate the whole tank. It would also make sure to kill off any in the tank itself. Make sure you read the instructions.

The two things that come to mind with his behavior of sitting at the surface of the water is either a lack of oxygen, an increase in carbon dioxide, increased levels of ammonia or nitrites or both.

Is your fish darkening in color? Losing weight? Swollen body/belly or eyes? Fins deteriorating? Skin discoloration as a whole or in certain areas?

The two things that come to mind with his behavior of sitting at the surface of the water is either a lack of oxygen, an increase in carbon dioxide, increased levels of ammonia or nitrites or both.

Is your fish darkening in color? Losing weight? Swollen body/belly or eyes? Fins deteriorating? Skin discoloration as a whole or in certain areas?
He is at the top but not gulping for air and all the other fish are perfectly fine running around the tank all my plants are doing fine and that should be helping with the gas exchange and I have a noble bar as for the fish he hasent eaten the food I give him in a week or so but every other part of him is just normal I'll add a picture of him again1553553021870.jpg

Sorry for the message spam but quick update I saw him eating alge off of the floating plants o have not much but anything counts

It looks like he has a lump on his side closer to his tail??

I don't believe Epsom or AS would do much for his behavior. I'm leaning towards him having either a skin or stomach parasite or iridovirus which is common for dwarf Gourami's.

If you could tell me if your fish is darkening in color? Losing weight? Swollen body/belly or eyes? Fins deteriorating? Skin discoloration as a whole or in certain areas. Sometimes its hard to tell from a picture.

Alright I got api general cure. But the problem is that I have a filter pack and it has charcoal how should I proceed with the process? Please respond quick I wanna do this tonight

Back
Top Bottom