Sick Guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swankyspoon

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys,

I have a sick guppy and I was hoping you could help.

It's a 10 gallon tank 0 Ammonia (or darn close to it, well under 0.25), 0 Nitrite, 20 Nitrates. I use API liquid test.

Three male guppies in tank, which were added about 10 days ago. No other fish.

Tank has been set up for a little more than a year. I have changed water about 3 times in the last 10 days (on average I would say 30%), including 1 substrate vacuum today. I also did a 60% change just before I got the new fish.

The ill fish was always less active than the other two. Over the last couple of days he has been near the top, and lately he has appeared to be gasping at the very top. Now he is at the bottom of the tank, not moving much. However, physically, he still looks fine.

Meanwhile, the other 2 look great. They are very active, playfully chasing each other through the tank.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks!

I am sorry, but I am still new to this. What do you mean by clamped? Anything I can do?

Now he is nearly motionless on the bottom. Still gulping though, but I am suspecting he is past the point of no return... :(

Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again?

By fins clamped, I mean is he holding them close to his body? If he's gasping and laying on the bottom, then you're probably right and he's about ready to bite the dust. Not quite sure what to do in the future to prevent this but maybe somebody else will know.

Attachments

• image-3687045866.png
    image-3687045866.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 3,460
Im sorry about your fish :( Because he was fairly new, i have to suspect he was sick when you bought him because your water quality isnt an issue here. I would just be aware when you do go to purchase new fish to make sure you spend time observing them & their environment before buying. Does the lfs store have any dead or sick fish in their tanks? Large stores typically run all their tanks a one large filter system so one sick fish means all of their fish have been exposed to the same illness. And spend your time watching the fish your looking at purchasing-make sure he looks & acting healthy and is doing nothing questionable. Good luck!

Thanks for your help guys. Now he is going alternating through spurts of floating in the water/laying in the substrate, and swimming erratically and aggressivly and bumping into things. I hesitate to raise the issue. At what point do I euthanize? I would put the fish in nearly frozen water.

I have yet to have to euthanize a fish (other, larger animals, yes) so i cant offer specific advice. If he is suffering beyond all hope, as my larger pets were in the past, you will have to make the decision on whats best for his welfare. In my case, it was cruel and inhumane to allow them to continue to suffer when all options had run out and i had no other choice but to end the suffering. It is never an easy decision to make. :(

Thanks. I think mother nature has solved my dilemma for me. I think he's dead. :( I will put him in near frozen water just to be sure. I have never euthanized a fish either.

swankyspoon said:
Thanks for your help guys. Now he is going alternating through spurts of floating in the water/laying in the substrate, and swimming erratically and aggressivly and bumping into things. I hesitate to raise the issue. At what point do I euthanize? I would put the fish in nearly frozen water.

Unfortunately it's a decision that only you can make, you are the one watching what's happening. If you really think there is no hope then you have to do what you have to do. Even if there is a small chance of recovery, some would argue that it's best to put an end to the suffering that is now happening.

Edit: sorry, we both posted at the same time, making this somewhat redundant. It's never an easy choice to make, and even though making the choice gets easier with experience, actually having to do it is always hard.

Well. That's it. Netted him out with zero response. Put him in frigid water just in case, but I am confident he was dead already.

I am thinking it is wise to wait awhile (2 weeks?) until I add more guppies, and watch to make sure the two remaining guppies are healthy.

I want to thank you all for your help!

Sorry about your fish :( Waiting 2 weeks and keeping an eye on the other guys is a good idea for the time being. Let us know if you have any other problems!

Back
Top Bottom