sick julii cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, I've posted about my cory before, but haven't ever seemed to find someone who knows what's wrong.

I lost several corys before all with the same symptoms. They get very lethargic and start swaying and drifting in the current. They get to the point where they can't stay upright and almost roll over sideways. They then start floating around the tank in the current.

I lost two peppered, then after a month I got a julii cory. I didnt want to get more than one to start with in case I lost them to the same thing. She started to get very shy and nervous and lost her barbels. After researching I decided that she'd lost her barbels through stress and thought that getting another two corys would help her. The difference in her was immediate. She straightaway became very active, all three of them swimming together and searching for food. I got my hopes up, and then lost one of them overnight. After two or so days, the other new cory died, so I was left with the original julii cory again.

She got lethargic again, but not as bad as she was before. Her mouth then went white, then swelled up and went bright red, so I guess it was infected. I thought I was going to lose her, but I started treating with Melafix and she gradually recovered. She doesn't seem to be confidant enough to search for food on her own, so she gets weak and starts to drift in the current again. When she starts doing that, Ive put her in a floating breeding trap so I can get food to her without the other fish eating it. She gets her strength up and then gets fidgety being in a small space so I let her out and she's fine for a day or two before it all starts again.

I'm worried about losing her, but don't know what to do. I'm worried if I get more to keep her company I'll lose more, but will I lose her if I don't?

I need some advice really on what to do, what's going wrong and how to help her. My parameters have always been am 0, Ni 0, Na <10.

Thanks in advance for the help, and sorry it's such a long post, I just wanted to explain everything properly :)

I'm so sorry for your losses, and I totally understand how you feel. I've recently lost my 2 peppered corys that I've had since July, and also my juliis that I bought recently. I think the new ones infected my tank. I only have 1 julii and 2 pandas left out of my school. They seemed so happy when I finally filled out the school, and they all seemed so healthy for a short while. I'm treating with Melafix, hoping to save the rest, but they've stopped eating. I dropped a wafer last night and they didn't touch it. I had to get it out. They normally go crazy for them.
The problem really boils down to not properly quarantining the new ones. I knew better, but I changed my qt tank to a betta tank, thinking I'd be alright. Well, I'm learning the hard way that following the recommendations of experienced fishkeepers is the key to a healthy tank. I'm just sick about this.
Corys definately need a school. Maybe you could somehow qt some new ones if she survives, then add them to your tank. I hope she makes it. Keep us posted.

Reygan2 said:
I'm so sorry for your losses, and I totally understand how you feel. I've recently lost my 2 peppered corys that I've had since July, and also my juliis that I bought recently. I think the new ones infected my tank. I only have 1 julii and 2 pandas left out of my school. They seemed so happy when I finally filled out the school, and they all seemed so healthy for a short while. I'm treating with Melafix, hoping to save the rest, but they've stopped eating. I dropped a wafer last night and they didn't touch it. I had to get it out. They normally go crazy for them.
The problem really boils down to not properly quarantining the new ones. I knew better, but I changed my qt tank to a betta tank, thinking I'd be alright. Well, I'm learning the hard way that following the recommendations of experienced fishkeepers is the key to a healthy tank. I'm just sick about this.
Corys definately need a school. Maybe you could somehow qt some new ones if she survives, then add them to your tank. I hope she makes it. Keep us posted.

I would love to be able to quarantine my fish, but I live in a rented flat and the landlord has only allowed me to have one tank :(

i'd still be a bit worried that even if I quarantined any new corys, maybe whatever killed the others is still in the tank. I mean, if its like a parasite or something, no matter how healthy the new stock is or how long they are quarantined for, it won't make any difference when I introduce them to the main tank will it?

My tank is up at 31°C at the moment treating ich, so maybe that will cure whatever has been affecting the corys. wishful thinking eh? ;)

Hope yours make it! What wafers do you feed them? Even when mine don't seen to want to eat, they'll go crazy for hikari sinking wafers.unfortunately all the other fish agree ;) might be worth a try?

I would love to be able to quarantine my fish, but I live in a rented flat and the landlord has only allowed me to have one tank :(

i'd still be a bit worried that even if I quarantined any new corys, maybe whatever killed the others is still in the tank. I mean, if its like a parasite or something, no matter how healthy the new stock is or how long they are quarantined for, it won't make any difference when I introduce them to the main tank will it?

My tank is up at 31°C at the moment treating ich, so maybe that will cure whatever has been affecting the corys. wishful thinking eh? ;)

Hope yours make it! What wafers do you feed them? Even when mine don't seen to want to eat, they'll go crazy for hikari sinking wafers.unfortunately all the other fish agree ;) might be worth a try?

If you've just got a case of ich, the high temps-88+ will kill it. I'd treat for at least 10 days at that temp. If you see signs of other illness, then you'd have to treat with meds.

I use Hikari wafers also, and all of my fish used to fight over it too. My last angel didn't come out for breakfast this morning, and his fins looked clamped. I hope he pulls through. Oddly enough ...my tetra school is fine. I thought they were super sensitive fish:confused:
Anyway, I'm going to spend the holiday trying to cure my tank. I hope yours gets cleared up and your little cory makes it.

Back
Top Bottom