Sick mystery snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hynsetalia

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Does anyone know what these white spots are, if there's anything I can do, and if it's contagious? She seems fine, maybe a little less active than usual but still moving and eating fine

Attachments

• 1426213593268.jpg
    1426213593268.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 322
It just looks like her natural pattern on her foot, my boy has the same. And no its not contagious.
Sorry had a closer look! What is your parameters? Could be ammonia burns?

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

She's never had those spots before and today she's lethargic and just sitting half out of her shell. 30 gallon tank. 12 white cloud minnows, 2 platys, 1 betta, 1 bristlenose pleco, 1 vampire shrimp, 3 mystery snails, 2 nerite snails, tons of pond snails

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok, what's your parameters? how long have you had her for?
Does she have a lot of slime coming off her?

Parameters would help, if you don't have a test kit you should get one.

If you can't test, I would do a 50% pwc and another 50% pwc a couple hours later or am/pm or pm/am. Then order your test kit or get one asap. Take water to lfs and have checked, maybe before you do pwc take a sample and then an after sample. That way you would have an idea if that might be the cause!

Clean water, is #1!

I've had her since about November. I had another one who died, not sure why, but the other one didn't show spots, she just stopped moving or eating. The ammonia is at 0, the ph is about 8.5. I just changed about 70% of the water a week ago, using about 50/50 ro water and conditioned tap water

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would go with what Autumn says do a 50% clean and then another later, is your nitrate level ok? Sometimes high nitrates can affect snails and they basically just stop moving.
If your nitrate level is ok I'd still definitely do a 50 % clean and hopefully that'll help.

Do you always use the RO water mixed with tap? Was that the 1st time?

The fish and inverts can be shocked by a large differing TDS, or GH/KH or pH difference in the water. That is just a side note. In case it is possible. RO water also reduces the minerals available for the snails. I am bad with the scientific stuff, so you might want to do some additional research on that stuff if you feel it is a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom