Sick Oranda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhi_rhiM

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, reading threads here has helped me in the past, but now I think I have a different kind of problem.

My red cap Oranda, Mandark, I've had for a couple months now. He's about two inches long and in a filtered 5-gallon tank until I get the ten gallon in June. On Sunday. I noticed he was sitting at the bottom of the tank which he never does. Nothing else seemed to be wrong and he swam right to my finger if I put it against the tank. However, today I noticed his dorsal fin drooping slightly and he was sitting on the gravel again. About five minutes ago, (right about 30 mins after the only pet supply store in my town closed) I noticed his scales slightly protruding, sending me into a panic because I know this is a sign of Dropsy. I've checked the water levels (all fine), done a 50% water change, and I've put in a floating basket to keep him from the gravel as recommended by a site I saw. Now I've noticed a very small bulge under his mouth that just barely visible.

This little guy has only been under my care for a few months, but I'm already so attached. Is there anything I can do? Thank you so much for any help in advance.

(ps- he'll move around for a short amount of time and then go back to sitting on the bottom of the basket.)

Hello everyone, reading threads here has helped me in the past, but now I think I have a different kind of problem.

My red cap Oranda, Mandark, I've had for a couple months now. He's about two inches long and in a filtered 5-gallon tank
My red cap Oranda, Mandark, I've had for a couple months now. He's about two inches long and in a filtered 5-gallon tank
He's about two inches long and in a filtered 5-gallon tank
5-gallon tank

Get a bigger tank, ASAP.

Ok, goldfish (and orandas are goldfish (or carp, anyway)) need a lot of water, because they put out a lot of ammonia. Very dirty fish. How often do you do water changes? How much do you change? Do you test the water? strip or liquid test? What are the test results?

You really need at least a 10g tank, I would think 20 if you want other fish in there.

Editted for purpose and clarity.

I know he needs a bigger tank soon but I was told for the brief time that this filtered tank would be alright. I change at least 20% of the water weekly. I use a 5 in 1test strip and the levels are always in the safe zone.

If you look online at www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com they usually have the kits cheapest, but you have to pay for shipping, so I would guess it's about the same price in the store LOL. Most of us on here use the API Master Freshwater Liquid Test Kit.
I wouldn't treat, I would just do partial water changs every day (50%) and wait to see if he gets better that way. :)

Okay, I'll try that. Thanks so much! I'm a new fish mommy so I'm a little quick to worry.

Bottom sitting is not a good sign for goldies. Is he still eating? The bulge under the chin might be a stone lodged in the throat ... in that case the fish will not be eating. At any rate, try to look inside the mouth. <Goldies will come right up to the top of the tank & open their mouth begging for food at feeding time. Try to get a glimpse into the throat to see if anything is there.>

Is th fish pooping? Gut problems may cause swimbladder dysfunction & bottom sitting. What food have you been feeding? There is no harm in trying some peas. <Blanch peas in boiling water - or nuke in microwave in a bit of water - shell, squeeze out the "inside" of the peas, chop & feed.> Peas is a natural laxative & will fix many gut problems. <Also, fancy golds should have veggies in their diet, so feeding peas & other veggies regularly is a good idea.>

Agree that test stripes are not accurate. Get a liquid test kit ASAP. in the meanwhile, doing daily 50% pwc's will not hurt.

Keep an eye on the possible raised scales. If it is indeed dropsy, you need to jump on that right away. An antibiotic containing food is the treatment of choice. <One with kanamycin is the current first choice.> I would not treat with antibiotics unless I am quite sure of the diagnosis, and then only after I am sure water quality is perfect. For now I think it is OK for you to do "watchful waiting". Watch out for further symptoms or any appearance of spots, dots, etc.

The scales have definitely worsened. He ate last night (I feed him flakes) and this morning there was poo so his digestion seems alright. Last night he perked up and was swimming around but now he is back to being lethargic. I can go to the pet store very soon.

img_1102925_0_bfb78becc8393e5c2b7054d3dac788a8.jpg

The other post with a picture of the scales is awaiting approval so please disregard this one when it gets approved.

The scales have worsened, although last night he ate the flakes I feed him and this morning he pooped so that is a good sign. He perked up and was swimming around. I'm doing a water change now and I can tell the scales are obviously protruding. Now I'm really worried. I can go to the pet store today, is there anything you guys can recommend?

That is definitely dropsy. You need to act fast if there is any chance of survival. This may be caused by many things, but I'll list the treatment suggestions for those that are treatable:

1. Keep extremely clean water. A daily large water change is a must. You may consider Jo-Ann's bucket to bucket method - moving the fish to clean water everyday. (ie a 100% water change.)
2. Increase the temperature to low 80's (up it over a day or 2, a degree or so an hour & watch your fish!!). This must be coupled with extremely good aeration - as the warm water will have less O2. If you suspect parasites, increase the temp up to 86, as long as the fish is not showing signs of stress.
3. Add Epsom's salt at 1/8 teaspoon per 5 gal.
4. feed antibiotic containing food. If fish is not eating use Kanamycin in the water.

This is more info:
BY NAME, DISEASES OF GOLDFISH AND KOI

Although prognosis is not too good, dropsy can be treated successfully in some of the fish. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom