sick oto, what happened? Very gross picture *beware*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found my oldest oto (around 2 yrs old) Very near death this morning. Very slow labored breathing, swollen body, eyes slightly popped out. I did not notice the blood until I took him out. The arrows in the picture show where it was the worst, one spot under the gills, some under the scales on one side, some blood in one of the rear fins. Normally I don't take pictures of my dead fish, but I want to know if any of you think this could be septicemia (or some other contagious disease) and should I treat the rest of the fish in that tank?

Ammo 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 5ppm or less
Last water change was 5 days ago.

Kinda looks like columnaris to me. The way the symptoms cover the entire body like they do. The raised scales, white and red patchy appearance, slightly frayed tail fin. To be safe, and knowing how quickly columnaris can take over a tank, I'd treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic like Maraycn-2.

Good luck, and sorry about your oto. :(

I have had very good luck with trisulfa in the past, but I only used it in my betta tank. Think that would be too strong for my rams? Is it ok to use with plants? I am concerned now that you say columnaris because my female ram has been acting weird for a while and she is starting to fray on her tail. I just figured it was my male doing a little damage.

So sorry to hear about your loss. Having been a recent victim to fast acting columnaris I would treat asap. I don't know if triplesulfa is to strong for the plants but I would imagine the rams would be fine with it.

Back
Top Bottom