Sick parrot fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

limojica

Aquarium Advice Activist
I noticed my parrot was acting funny for a few days, hiding and being alone. He didn't eat this morning and stood at the top of the tank. I found him upside when I got home from work but his eyes were moving and he appears to be breathing. I removed him from the tank and placed him in a bucket of salt water. He looks like he is breathing but his body is bloated and he is not moving. I'd like him to pass in the most humane way. What should I do with him?

Keep him in the salt for a while and don't feed him. Make sure there is an air stone or something for him in there, and a heater if it's not warm.
Parrots and goldies have alot of swim bladder issues since their bodies are so scrunched. That is most likely what is going on, and the salt will help. You can also try feeding boiled, shelled peas, which are a laxative for fish. Remember, NO food. :)

I'm currently taking care of my boss' fish (apparently I'm now a fish doctor at work...........) and he's suffering from the exact same symptoms. He is extremely bloated and is floating upside down. His eyes move and he seems to show symptoms of laboured breathing. The worse thing is that he is no longer eating either.

Definitely try dkpate's method, shelled peas work wonders for swim bladder disease if your fish is actually eating. Usually feeding shelled peas once a week help prevent this from happening as well.

Best of luck and keep us posted on how your parrot is doing.

Back
Top Bottom