Sick plants. Need help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anton2010

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I started my tank a week ago. Planted all plants together at the same time. T 80 F, Ph 6.8, no ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. Lights on for about 10 hrs a day. Plants were shipped to me via fedex. Now many of them dying of and have disease/algae on them. Any advice? Thanks.

Attachments

• 7AAE42BC-6F7F-472F-B813-E32FDC2ABE9E.jpg
    7AAE42BC-6F7F-472F-B813-E32FDC2ABE9E.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 27
  • E5E0F9C2-FF41-41FE-9D73-38A99DA58234.jpg
    E5E0F9C2-FF41-41FE-9D73-38A99DA58234.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 27
  • 8984CCEB-3C01-4DD2-9031-2549C6D892F9.jpg
    8984CCEB-3C01-4DD2-9031-2549C6D892F9.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 26
This is just plants transitioning from being cultivated emersed in water (ie partially in water) to being submerged (fully under water).

Plants have had easy access to CO2 from the atmosphere up to now, and this has been largely cut off. The leaf structure needs to change. This is called melt and is the leafs dying off. New growth should be more tolerant to the new conditions.

Its possible you might lose all your original growth, but its the new growth that will sustain your plant. Remove anything that looks dead or beyond recovery so the plant can concentrate its nutrients on new growth. Give it at least a couple of months before writing the plant off.

Also 10 hours light a day might be a bit much. You wont rid your tank of algae completely. Its finding a sweetspot between plant growth and having algae at a point where you are happy with the amount of manual removal you need to do.

Normally this sweetspot is 6 to 8 hours a day with the light on.

Last edited:
Everything Aiken Said! But also I wanted to add that if your dealing with some algae fast growing check your phosphate levels from your water source. If its just tape water your using I will say for sure you have plenty of dissolved solids and phosphates in your water. I would recommend Seachem Phosguard, actually it saved me from throwing my tank out a window and starting over LOL. But yes dont have lights going for so long from what I have read transitioning can be done with low light times since they are getting use to going from a rich co2 access to a very dipleted co2 envionrment. I recently started transitioning 2 plants after getting my tank correct from so many errors lol. my lights are only on for about 4 hours a day and this morning i upped it to 6 after seeing that the plants so far and looking good with no sign of on coming melt. Im praying at this point that i have waited long enough but will know soon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom