Sick Pleco! Possible Fin Rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chevyhater06

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I have a sick Pleco. He is about 2 inches long and all of his fins are getting "rips" or "tears" in them. Since it is all of his fins I am assuming it is some kind of bacteria or fin rot or something similar. I attached a picture of his top fin that you can see the "cuts" that I am talking about. He is also discolored. As in he is normally black and he is now black/grey/white. I dont know if this is a related or seperate issue. He is in the tank with a similar sized Oscar. The Oscar is about 2-3 Inches. My Pleco stays under his log and in his Ornamental decoration house in the tank. He is in either of those paces most of the time. He also have a very long stringy poop that comes out. It almost looks similar to black sewing thread. I have done countless big and large water changes since this issue has started, and I am starting a Melafix/Pimafix medicine tomorrow. Does or can anyone help me with this issue? If you have any questions or need more info let me know. Also I have a picture attached.

Thanks,
Andrew

Attachments

• 387213_253042861411671_100001178765602_688926_1445821184_n.jpg
    387213_253042861411671_100001178765602_688926_1445821184_n.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 10,801
More information will help! Is your tank cycled? What are your readings for amm/nitrite/nitrate? Fin rot (this is what it looks like) is usually indicative of water quality issues. I personally think melafix is the equivalent of snake oil (others may disagree)-fin rot is a bacterial infection that really needs to be treated with antibiotics.

Pristine water alone can cure most fin rot.

I agree that it's usually a sign of poor water conditions.

What size tank and what's in there besides the pleco and the oscar? How long has the tank been established?

I agree with the able posters that fin rot can be caused by poor water quality and can be cured with constant clean water, however, I would suspect the Oscar is not plying nicely at night.

Would it be possible to get a brighter picture?

I think fin rot usually looks like the fin is curling up and turning black, caused by high amoniaia (I think).

From what I can see it looks like chunks missing...if this is the case I'd monitor the situation closely. And if it gets worse I would QT the pleco. My pleco sometimes has chunks missing from his fins as one of my cichlids is also not playing nice. But it grows back quickly, and it doesn't seem to be constant harassment. I usually see fin growin bak within the first week and is usually fully grown back in a month.

I agree with both all of the above posters that water quality readings and tank size are important for us to know in order to help. :)
The color changing is commonly seen in common plecos and I wouldn/t necessarily be concerned about that. It can be indiciative of stress, but it can also be nothing.
Fin rot is more of a symptom than a diagnosis. Most fin rot is characterised by white edges developing on the fins in question.
You seem to have a common pleco, so are you aware of the future tank requirements a common pleco will need someday?

absolutangel04 said:
I agree with both all of the above posters that water quality readings and tank size are important for us to know in order to help. :)
The color changing is commonly seen in common plecos and I wouldn/t necessarily be concerned about that. It can be indiciative of stress, but it can also be nothing.
Fin rot is more of a symptom than a diagnosis. Most fin rot is characterised by white edges developing on the fins in question.
You seem to have a common pleco, so are you aware of the future tank requirements a common pleco will need someday?

Sorry that I was incorrect, I thought it was black. My mistake...thanks for correcting

I will try and get a brighter picture but it's difficult. I do a 25-50% water change during my weekly vacuuming. The tank is only a 10 Gallon, which I know at the moment is very small but ill be moving to a 55 gallon in January. And I have seen my Oscar being aggressive, but his fins dont have "chunks" out. It's the webbing that is missing or being damaged. And its all of his fins. I dont see any curling tho at least on his top fin. His side fins might be curling tho but I dont see any red or white on the damaged areas. I also have a filter ample enough for the tank size carbon activated, and a 4" Air Stone in there also, along with a heater.

Well, plecos are pretty messy. So, water quality could maybe still be an issue. The issue could also be the oscar picking on him. Plecos have spines as fin rays, so the oscar could maybe be nipping them but only getting the webbing.
Are you aware of the size that both oscars and plecos reach? Common plecos can reach 2 feet and I would not suggest anything less than a 125g for one. Its good that you are planning an upgrade, but you may want to consider a smaller pleco species for a 55g. :)

Back
Top Bottom