sick Ryukin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abfab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had ongoing constipation/swim bladder problems with one of my Ryukin. After feeding him peas for a bit he gets back to normal, but it always comes back. For the past few weeks I've found him hiding at the bottom of the tank, usually with his head under a piece of the log, and looking lifeless. When I feed them (once a day in the morning), he'll eat and swim around normally for a while. Eventually though, I'll find him in that same position. I tested the water and everything is normal. I saw poop coming from him the other day and it was white and very thin. What's going on?

What do you feed him when you are not feeding peas, and how long has this been going on? Also, how big is he, how big is the tank, how long has it been set up? Any other fish having problems?

Just off the top of my head, feeding once a day is generally not often enough. I feed two or three times a day, depending on my work schedule. Some people feed more than that. Just small amounts each time...

A lethargic goldie is a sick goldie ....

Certainly more info is needed ... size, tank parameters, etc ... but also tank temp .... if the temp is in the 50's this may be hibernation behavior.

Otherwise 2 likely possibilities:
1. constipation - improper food or not enough veggies ... if feeding peas helps, try feeding peas & veggies exclusively for a few dasy, then switch to high quality *sinking* goldfish pellets.
2. swimbladder dysfunction - an internal infection may be the cause ... thin white poop may be indicative of this. Certainly if peas & switching food don't help, it may be worthwhile trying a course of antibiotic containing food. However, SB disorder is common in fancy goldies, and some are not curable.

Its a 20 gallon tank with 2 ryukin I bought over a year ago. One is perfectly healthy and growing. They were the same size when I got them. The healthy one has a body length of about 1.5-2", the sick one is only 1".

I used to have some plants in the tank but removed them a month ago because i thought they might be lacking space which was stunting their growth. Now there's just gravel and two logs.

I alternate between goldfish crisps and freeze-dried bloodworms. I read that they have too much protein so I try to give them peas once a week. I find it inconvenient to deshell the peas so don't give them as much veggies as i should.

When I got them, the fish store told me to feed once a day. When i come near the tank in the morning/afternoon, they swim around looking for food. I've always resisted a second feeding for fear of overfeeding them.

Ammonia/No2/No3 are 0. Ph is 7.2-7.6 (the chart doesn't have anything in between). Based on the blueish colour, its probably 7.4-7.5.

Temp is about 78. It fluctuates a few degrees, despite the fact that I have a heater. I had it replaced several months ago thinking it was defective but this one does the same thing. I recently read that it should be placed near the filter. I had it at the other end and just moved it, so will see if that makes it more stable.

I tried feeding peas exclusively for 2 weeks a few months ago, hoping to permanently get rid of the constipation, but it came back.

I'll pick up some pellets and continue with the peas to see if that helps.

He looks a little better today. I started him back on the peas yesterday. I see a bit of brown poop coming out. He's never had the really long strings of poop the other one has, but its an improvement.

In the past, the constipation caused him to float upside down. Sitting at the bottom of the tank is new behaviour.

The fish are really small for 1 year old ... I would expect 2-3" at least. I don't think plants are the issue ... it is not so much swimming room but the small water volume that is stunting growth. It is postulated that organics & other "stuff" that we can't measure (may be even hormones from the fish) that is not properly diluted in the water may be causing stunting. The solution is either a bigger tank, or more frequent & larger water changes. Plants may actually help in removing the toxins if they are healthy.

ATM, however, the problem is more likely due to constipation. Stunted fish tend to have the gut squished together, so more prone to indigestion. I would certainly start by increasing the veggies in the diet. <Goldfish are supposed to have something like 30% proteins in the diet ... ie 70% veggies.> Frequent bloodworms may well constipate them. I would continue with peas & try switching to the sinking pellets to see if that will help. Give it a couple weeks. If the lethargy continues (or other symptoms appears), then I would look for other causes.

I was told that each fish needed 10 gallons, so figured the tank size was right. The plants were plastics ones, so I can't see them being a factor. I change the water weekly (30-40%). Perhaps they simply weren't getting enough food to grow?

The only other possibility I can think of is that there's some algae, but that's nothing new. The tank does get some direct light, but its too heavy to move. I use No More Algae and a mag-float, which controls it but hasn't eliminated it. There isn't a lot of it... just some on the log. Water isn't cloudy.

He seems to be doing a bit better now that he's back on peas. Still a bit constipated though. The other one has great digestion. His poo is long, thick and now pea green. Its strange to see such a difference between the two.

Both foods list 55% protein. I'll see if there's anything with less. Is there such a thing as veggie pellets? I saw some veggie flakes online, but it doesn't say what kind of fish they are for.

Thank you all for your advice!!

Oh, I thought you meant live plants. Well, plastic won't help with water conditions! :)

How much are you feeding them? If you are really stingy, they would grow slower. Also, they would also grow slower if kept too cold ... but I see you are at 78F, which would be just fine.

Goldfish pellets should have less than 40% protein. <The ones I use are 33%.> Fancy goldfish can be finicky eaters ... some will do well on plain old flakes, while another gets gut trouble. This is due to their egg shaped body. The gut is squished together and is not as efficient as their common cousins.

Generally, I would just supplement with fresh veggies. You can also try some algae wafers. The veggie pellets are meant for herbivorous cichlids. They are prob fine for goldies, as long as it is not the sole food as they do need a bit more proteins.

The usual algae is not a problem. <Soft green algae is a good goldies food.> Although certain blue-green Algae may be toxic to fish & might stunt their growth.

Thanks jsoong. I'm surprised the flakes have so much protein since they are goldfish flakes and were recommended by the fish store.

They seem to be a little happier now that they are getting fed 2-3 times a day. Now I just have to figure out how to get the bigger one to stop eating all the peas! I'm sure that's contributing to the size difference too.

Back
Top Bottom