Sick skunk cory.. please help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kschaf012

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My skunk corydora is in bad shape.. i'm not sure what's wrong with him and need advice ASAP! About 2 weeks ago, I noticed that the barbels on one of my skunk corys were almost gone (they are very short and stubby compared to the other cory). He was still eating and seemed okay otherwise, so I kept a close eye on him and did pwc's every other day for a few days. A week later, I noticed that his anal fin looked damaged quite a bit..he still seemed to be eating and acting normal. The ammonia in my tank was 0.25 ppm, and nitrates were between 5-10 ppm, so I started doing pwc's with prime and vacuuming the substrate daily and continued to watch him closely.

I had been gone for 2 nights this past weekend, and yesterday when I returned my cory looked considerably worse. He seems to be getting thinner and is not showing interest in food anymore.. his barbel/fin condition doesn't seem to be worse but doesn't look any better either. I think there also is some redness in his gill area? It is hard to tell but I will post pictures below. Both of my cories have just hid in the back corner of my tank all day and haven't been active at all, and showed no interest in food last night or this morning.

I tested the water today and the ammonia is still at 0.25 ppm, nitrates down to 5 ppm. I have been doing partial water changes almost daily for a week,I am not sure what else to do.. is it the ammonia causing this? Or could this be something else? Aside from the daily water changes, how else could I get the ammonia to go down to 0 ppm?

My fish looks very sickly and I am really worried about him and the other fish in my tank.. does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?? I don't know what to do.. I'd appreciate any help, I really don't want to lose my fish ):

My tank is a 17G planted tank with sand substrate, I also have 2 otos in there as well. I dose the tank with prime during every pwc. My tank has been set up for about a year now. Here are all of my current tank parameters:

Ammonia 0.25 ppm
nitrate 5 ppm
nitrite 0 ppm
pH: 7.2
temperature: 74° F

In the attachments, the sick cory is in the front. The picture of him swimming was from last week, you can notice the damaged anal fin.

Attachments

• IMG_1102.jpg
    IMG_1102.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1103.jpg
    IMG_1103.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1064.jpg
    IMG_1064.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 50
Update: Redness and whitish patches?

Update: I am definitely seeing redness on the gills and also on the fish's underside where his fin is damaged. He is losing coloration on his face, it almost seems like there are white patches forming on the black areas under his eyes? Could this be some sort of fungus? bacterial? I am at a loss.. i'm afraid if I don't act quickly he is not going to make it much longer.. ): I do have Furan-2 and Prazi Pro.. but I don't want to try and treat the wrong thing

I was able to get pics of the redness, and while shining a light you can kind of see the whitish patches I am talking about. Sorry for the multiple posts with pics.. but I am not experienced with fish diseases and I really need some help on this one.

Attachments

• IMG_1113.jpg
    IMG_1113.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1117.jpg
    IMG_1117.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom