Sick Starfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tloktb26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a beautiful orange marble starfish that has only been in my tank a week now. He seemed fine at first, but tonight I just noticed that he was on the sand bed with orange gook coming out of him and bubbly things under him. I know that he is alive because he keeps curling and uncurling but he definitely seems sick. Has anyone has this happen? How can I help him? :) TIA :D

Doesn't sound sick, sounds like it's eating. Starfish will primarily exspell their stomach to eat. This is most likely what you are seeing. If the star was sick you would see a noticable fading in color and possibley necrosis of the limbs.

Cheers
Steve

Oh ok, thanks! Is it normal for his stomach to come out on the top of him? Because now he is curled up in the same spot on the sandbed with orange stuff coming through the top of him. It kind of looks like his gutts are coming out of him. However, he has all his limbs and his color is still vibrant. Thanks again for your help!

tloktb26 said:
Oh ok, thanks! Is it normal for his stomach to come out on the top of him? Because now he is curled up in the same spot on the sandbed with orange stuff coming through the top of him.!

That is not what you stated above. The "goo" so to speak should come from it's mouth beneath the star. Any emissions coming from the outside of the star are definately not a good sign.

Any animals in the tank that might prey on the star? Any chance of posting a pic?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom