Sick swordtail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpmako

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I could really use some expert advice. Briefly, here's some information about my tank:

12 gallon FW
Fluval Edge filter
2 cardinal tetras
1 Cory cat
1 female swordtail
2 black skirt tetras
1 apple snail
Temp: 78 degrees (Fahrenheit)
pH: 7.0
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm

The swordtail is the fish I'm worried about. We recently lost a platy to an unidentified illness (weight loss, curved spine) and now the swordtail is looking ill. Her swimming is a bit off (maybe a shimmy?), her breathing is a bit fast/labored and her appetite is a bit off. I think she may have some white patches on either side of her head (behind her eyes). I can only see them in certain light. They're not speckles like ich and are definitely white and confluent (not velvet?).

I'm at a loss of where to begin. Our tap water is acidic (pH 5.5), so I buffer it with some sodium bicarbonate with water changes to keep the pH neutral. I do water changes and gravel vacuuming 1-2x week, about 20% each time. Is there anything else I should do? She used to school with the platy but has been stressed since he died last week. Her tank mates are all behaving normally.

I appreciate any help you can give.

First off, the tetras need to be in groups of 6+ to reduce stress. I have heard that bent spines are ammonia poisoning but that isn't your case. Maybe malnutrition? I don't know I'm sorry.

This is a picture of what she looks like. I'm starting para guard tonight but don't really know what I'm treating. Any ideas? All of my other fish are fine. The water tests fine (pH 7.0, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10 ppm, temp 78)

I'd really appreciate any help. I have medicated food on the way too but don't know if it'll be here in time.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392395449.222434.jpg

Not bloated. She is eating but has clamped fins and a white film on her body. I think it's bacterial, but am not sure. I've never seen anything like it.

If there is a white film it is probably is bacterial or fungal. Treat ASAP!

No problem. I hate to see people's fish having problems with nothing I can do.

Back
Top Bottom