Sick tank after gone on vacation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Not from over feeding, but ... I think I lost some fish while away and currently have two swimming on their sides.

Tank is 29 gallon, with a dozen plants and a lot of small fish. Stocking is 95% according to Aquadvisor. Danios, harlequin rasboras, glowlight neon tetras, Pygmy loaches, ghost shrimp, Otos, Malaysian trumpet snails.

Tank was fishless cycled back in April then fish added slowly. It got moved 8 weeks ago with no apparent interruption to the cycling bacteria.

I have an Aqua clear / Fluval 50 filter, and a power head that is aerating, sand and gravel substrate.

30% - 50% water changes weekly. My tapwater is like RO so I add Seachem equilibrium and a buffer to keep GH and KH about 4 each. API stress coat dechlorinator too. Ammonia and nitrites usually at 0 , nitrates at 10-20, pH about 7.5. Never had an issue.

I feed NLS pellets, at a rate that leaves the tank bottom exceptionally clean.

One concern is the tank has been at 80 lately. I'm living with family who keeps the house warm, not a lot I can do about that.

I did a 50% water change last Tuesday. I had something come up while refilling and so the tank had a low water level for a few hours but I put the filter media in water during the wait.

I also vacuumed the gravel at the time, and scrubbed some diatom build up off the glass. Not much came out of the gravel, as usual. There was a small spot of black algae under the sand that I stirred up.

From what I understand the feeding schedule was kept. All I can think of is I messed up something in that water change or she let the house and therefore tank get even warmer.

I got home really late so didn't check the fish then. When I went down at 3am for something I noticed in the blue "night" light that a few fish seemed sideways.

I turned on the light and waited about 10 minutes, then put in food to see what happened. They didn't react strongly to the food and remained really pale, but then again I turned lights on suddenly.

There is a harlequin rasbora and a glowlight neon tetra swimming on their sides. Other than being tilted there is nothing apparently wrong.

I think each group of fish is missing members, but I do absolutely have some of each still alive. I don't see any dead fish.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

False alarm! Don't know why but this morning everyone is present and swimming just fine. Guess it was just delirium after driving 800 miles ...

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I think you just woke them up too suddenly. My neons in the QT look quite pale and listless if I turn the lights on in the morning without slowly acclimatising them to first the room lights, then open curtains and lastly the tank lights. I looked in the mirror and didn't much better :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom