Sick Tiger Barb??? Attached pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swissgoalie35

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

First post here for me. I have 6 tiger barbs and 1 rainbow shark in a 35 gallon tank with plenty of hiding spots and live and fake plants. I had water tested and was told everything was perfect.

I have one tiger barb that is much darker than the other 5. This one does not appear to be harrassed by the other ones (nor the shark who is very active but seems to care less about the tiger barbs and doesn't chase them)

This tiger barb also seems to be a bit of a loaner who likes to hang out in the top corner behind the filter intake. The top and bottom fins are red but tail is not. The barb appears to eat well and will go for food at the top with the other ones. It will also school with the other ones but appears to swim more with its head down at times.

I have only had the set up since early September so I am not familiar with why this one has grown to be much darker than the rest.

Is it sick or just a different color, I got some at 2 different pet stores and do not know which ones are from where. All have been in the tank for at least a month.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 108
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 103
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 100
Here is a pic of the layout and i am open to advice. When i took this pic the dark tiger barb was in the boat alone

Attachments

• image-4230417063.jpg
    image-4230417063.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 108
He looks like he could just be a different color. He looks a little like a green tiger barb or maybe a cross of the two. In one pick it looks like his tail is a little nipped up. Is it or is it just the pic? You should buy API master freshwater test kit to test your water yourself anytime you want. That way you know when to do water changes or if someone seems ill. Keep an eye on him. Can't hurt to do some extra water changes.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but am pretty sure that your supposed to have ATLEAST, six or seven tiger barbs at a time, but preferably 9 or 10. Second, I think I've heard that rainbow sharke need BIG tanks. As for the sickness, I'm with the last poster, he might be just a cross breed of green and normal barbs, plus a bit of nipping on the tank, so he may be a bit stressed. And a Master API test kit is somthkng 80% of people on this forum wil say is a must have....and I agree.

Candiceg said:
He said he has six.

Ok, sorry, I missread, when he said "other five" I thought he was saying something like he only had five, but I goofed, sorry.

The tiger barb seems to be doing well, it probably is a green one but is still shy and hides alot but eats fine and swims alright. Thanks for the info

Adding some more barbs to the school can help his shyness. Just try and get them the same size so they dont bully. They like strength in numbers

Back
Top Bottom