Sick Tomato Clown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tomato clown has been acting strange for some time. The last few days I noticed he is "bumping" into stuff. I think he is blind :cry: , Is this possible? Here is a picture, he almost looks "bug eyed" Please tell me what to do for him. :cry:

tomato_clown_005.jpg

It's an infection called Popeye.

Maracyn Plus will completely cure this. Follow the instructions exactly and use a hospital tank.

Both Maracyn or Maracyn Two should work. Just make sure it says "saltwater" on the box.

Use Maracyn II. Maracyn I treats primarily gram positive bacteria while most all bacterial infections in SW are usually gram negative in nature which Maracyn II will treat just fine for the most part. Use @ double the dose each day for 7 days.

The impaired vision could easily be result of the odd swimming behavior but I have my doubts. You could actually have a two-fold problem. Since you tried the pea solution, has the clown had white or stingy feces?

Cheers
Steve

Problem with that, No one close carries the Maracyn II, Had already sent the wife after I when I got your post. He does not appear to be bloated in any way, Swims fine, just seems to prefer to swim un and down instaed of side to side right now. :roll: . Put him in the QT with the meds. and immd. went to swimming side to side. :roll:

He seems to eat good. Not noticed anything "stringy" but who knows on that point.

color is good, no markings of any kind that arn't supposed to be there.

Thanks for all the help and info. Maybe maracyn I will take care of the problem.

:? Is popeye contagious? There is only 1 other fish in the tank and I was wondering if it could have caught it from my tomato clown?

I don't believe it's contagious in itself.. but whatever underlying infection is causing the popeye might be. I wouldn't worry about the other fish unless it starts showing symptoms.

Steve-s,

When your right your right, I treated for 4 days and no change at all. However I did find the Maracyn II and started treatment today.

Keep us updated, I hope all goes well. You can help things along by soaking the foods in a small amount of the med after it's been predissolved in a glass of tank water. A few teaspoons should do nicely.

Cheers
Steve

The garlic can help with internal parasites (although not a assured cure) so I wouldn't stop. There shouldn't be an issue with mixing them. If you want to play absolutely safe, soak them on alternate days.

Cheers
Steve

Weel the tomato is doing ok I guess, still looks like somebody squeezed him hard enough to pop out his eyes but Maybe in a few days he will get to looking better. He is a minor problem right now. Stupid lfs sold me a flame angel, he had it for 2 to 3 weeks, no signs of anything. 1 week after introducing him into my tank (in all the changing around I failed to QT), he started showing signs of ick. Went to the lfs and the tank he had all the fish in is empty, he only has 1 purple tang left and it's in bad shape with ick. Well to make a long story short (too late), I have lost my regal tang $45.00, and I still have 1 fish in the display I can't seem to catch. A strawberry gramma that is a pain, every time he even sees a net he is gone. I can't even start my fallow period until I get him out. Any suggestions?

Move some of the rock and water to a garbage can, change the advantage to you. I know it a pain, but it helps.
Good luck, sorry for the bad run. :(

Yea I know, I got a piece of plexiglass and divided the tank, put all the rock on 1 side and he kept finding the only hole in the stupid seam between the 2. :roll:

Well it's been 6 days and 1 eye looks ok but the other one is still bulging out, can I continue treatment or is this a lost cause?

The treatment should go for 7 full days. Also be sure you are using double the recommended dosgae every day, that is quite important.

I would also suggest a bit of epsom salts (magnesium sulfate). It actally helps quite bit with eye problems. Start with one tablespoon per 50 gal of tank volume. If a 10 gal QT don't use more than 1 level teaspoon predissolved. Guage the reaction and see if more might be required after a few days. Be careful how high the Mg gets though. Hyper levels of Mg are not typically harmful to fish (mostly mollusks) but I wouldn't push your luck :wink:

Cheers
Steve

I actually have been using double the required dosage. 10 gal tank and the directions call for 1 tab for 20 gal. It's been getting 1 per 10 gal. Don't know if I have any epson salts or not. Thanks for the help.

justmy2cents said:
Don't know if I have any epson salts or not. Thanks for the help.
Just go to the local pharmacy. It costs about $1.00 for a pound and even if used as an Mg supp for the main tank, will last about a year :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom