Sick urchin or no big deal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris J

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a longspine urchin who recently started to develop pale spines in a pentaradially symmetrical pattern. Idk if I should be worried or be doing anything to help. He mows down my hair algae pretty well, he's about 2" across the main part of his body about 4-5" long spines. I just would like to know if I should be concerned, I have read that loosing spine can be a sign of poor health but he's not loosing them they are just turning pale.

image-3939745200.jpg

image-3006985821.jpg

My urchin does this too but i think its the urchin growing more spines.

sudden temp change would be one reason and yes also as he is getting ready to shoot a spine so he can grow they will change color slightly

THanks guys, I'm just a surprised/slightly skeptical since it is happening in such a perfectly symmetrical pattern

That is a cool pic of the urchin! Hope the others are right with it growing. Definitely a keeper of a photo though.

Some of his spines are striped with pale bands but the all white spines have not dropped or changed at all. I've watched him clean a rock of hair algae so I know he's eating, it's fun to watch him draw lines in the algae as he makes his way across the rock.

Back
Top Bottom