Sick vertical head down red zebra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlidlady

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My full grown red zebra has been swimming vertically for over two weeks, with effort she is able to come to the center of the tank and attempt to feed from the vertical head down position, although I can tell she has lost weight so maybe not eating as well as she should. At first about a month ago she was just swimming like she was uncoordinated, once she went vertical I thought she was a gonner but it's been over 2 weeks. Any hope for this girl?

Attachments

• image-4212687198.jpg
    image-4212687198.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 94
I just started keeping Africans so I don't know a huge amount about them but the first thing I'm going to ask is what are you feeding them? I keep fancy goldfish and standing on end like that is usually a swim bladder issue commonly brought on by incorrect food or a bacterial infection.
Also what are your water conditions? (amm, trite, trate and pH?)
What size tank and tank mates?

Hikarri cichlid excel sinking pellets, 240 gallon with all Malawi Africans and 4 clown loaches, her tail fin looks smaller than normal but not nipped or ragged or anything fluffy on it. Parameters are all good except high nitrates, but that's nothing new unfortunately, battling with my sump over the nitrates.
Can I save her or should I put her out of her misery?

Well, the choice is yours. You can pull her from the main tank into quarantine and try antibiotics if you think she's not too far gone.
Swim Bladder Disease
Pathogen/Cause: Various; Often indigestion in goldfish and other "balloon" breed fish, but may be bacterial infection in other species. Occasionally, sudden trauma such as when fish are jostled excessively in transit or "dumped" into water without acclimatization may result in fatal injury to the swim bladder.
Physical Signs: May show some limited bloat, but usually no real physical changes.
Behavioral Signs: Fish has great swimming upright despite active attempts to do so. May occasionally float "belly up".
Potential Treatment: Different depending on species; goldfish are very susceptible and sometimes cured by discontinuation of diet and salt bath, followed by change in diet to high fiber digestible foods. However, other fish may require antibiotics and have a worse prognosis. Recently introduced fish that exhibited signs within a matter of minutes have the worst prognosis of all, and there is often no cure for trauma to the swim bladder.
Other Notes: Most common in "pot-belly" shaped breeds of fish, such as goldfish & parrot cichlids due to blockage and insufficient fiber/vegetable matter in the diet. However, many fish that suffer trauma or excess stress, or just get an internal bacterial infection that occurs on or around the swim bladder may have problems. Baby fish fry that have swim bladder problems are commonly known as "belly sliders" (most scoot around the bottom fo the tank, unable to swim up, or spin uncontrollably in the water). It is still unknown if this is the same exact disease entity or what the cause is, but most attribute it to congenital or developmental causes, sometimes birth defects, premature birth or inadequate nutrition at certain stages. They should be culled to prevent suffering.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/tropicalfish_disease_identification.html#ERM

Back
Top Bottom