Sick Zebra Danio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquafriend

Aquarium Advice Regular
:?: Hi. I'm a new-comer here, and a newbie to fish keeping. Though I've learnt more in the last couple months than I ever knew possible! I'm glad you are all here, to help those like me who don't know what to do when a problem arises. And here's my problem:
My danio is floating near the top of the tank all alone. He's very thin, lethargic, droopy tail, and possible clamped tail fin (I've never seen clamped fins, but it looks like it). I've had him for a couple months and he's never acted like this, so I know something's wrong. My test results are: ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5, ph 7.2. Temp, 78F. I treated the whole tank for Ich last week, but he was not affected visibly, only a Serpae Tetra was. He was not himself before that anyway. I did a 30% water change the other day after the last Ich treatment, no fish were lost during the whole ordeal.

Now, I read from a brochure that was put out by "JungleLab" the fish care company. It said (and I don't know how accurate they are) that a skinny, lethargic fish with a sunken belly, like mine, could have a bacteria/fungus or an internal parasite. I can't visibly see anything on him, and no one else in the tank is acting like this. Anyone have an opinion or advice on this?

The danio is in a community tank, and I don't yet have a hospital tank set up. If I need to treat him, it would have to be in the community tank (20 gal, non-planted, AquaClear 150), so all the other fish would get medicated, which I'm concerned about. I don't know what to do for him, and I'm afraid I'm going to lose him.
Also, I live in a small town that's limited in fish meds. In my cupboard I have 'Jungle' Fungus Eliminator, and Aquarium Salt. That's it. In my tank are 6 neons, 2 serpaes, and 2 strawberry tetras, 2 platys, 3 danios, a cory, and 2 swordtails. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks!

He's now on the bottom, gasping. I don't think he will last much longer. The water is fine, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5, ph 7.2 -I wish I had known if there was something I could do, now I fear it's too late.

If the parameters are fine and it isn't cause by aggression from other fish. Its likely a fungal or bacterial infection. If its internal then there will be little outside symptoms. Best thing you could do is get some antibiotics. I'm not sure witch but maybe maracyn or maracyn II?

Back
Top Bottom