Sick Zebra Eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mysticeel

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a very sick 6 year old zebra eel. I had extremely poor water quality due to equipment. I had everything replaced and cleaned the tank very very well, but now my eel is sick. Probably due to the stress and bad water ; ;.

The eel has not eaten anything in almost 2 weeks, which is extremely rare and i am really worried. I have heard stories of eels going on hunger sticks for months before eating again.

My eel has a lump in his throat. It is located behind his gills...it looks almost as if he has an adams apple. I will try to post a pic, but during the daylight he is usually tucked away in his cave...

If anyone has experienced this before PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!! I am willing to do anything it takes to help my eel. As I have already stated he is not eating anything so I can't put any meds in his food since he is not eating >.<

My first suggestion would be to do several frequent PWC`s. I had a snowflake eel that died a few months back after not eating for two weeks. He wont make it months without eating. They wont last that long without eating. What are you feeding and have you tried soaking the food in garlic? Supposedly it stimulates feeding in fish. I`ve never used it but I have heard that.

I have done many water changes to get the water back to normal

I feed him tiger shrimps and scallops...I have tried soaking the food in garlic guard and everything else you can think of and he refused it all...i even went as far as putting the food right in his mouth and he just spit it out...

I know how to feed and take care of him...he is 6 years old and 3.5ft long...i did have bad water, but the water has now stabilized...but he is suffering from the effects of bad water quality...i just don't know how to cure him...

what is really upsetting me is that he is still very active and moving around, but he is still not eating...and i am getting really scared for him now...it is hard to imagen actually losing him...i don't have any corals in the tank...his only friends are snails, sea urchin, sandshifter starfish, sea cucumber and a foxface...i am wondering could i add copper generally used in treating fish...but can this be harmful to any of the other creatures in the tank??

I also don't have a QT tank large enough to hold him due to his size...

my eel ate a tiny sliver of a tiger shrimp today...i know he is still not out of the woods...and that is not nearly enough food considering his size...but i am thank you to god that he at least ate something finally after two weeks...all i can do now is hope it will increase ^^

Back
Top Bottom