sifting fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
e-cat said:
notmuffy said:
I hear Sea Cucumbers stir up the sand a lot in their travels.
the problem with them is if they get mad or stressed they will wipe out your whole tank

I never heard that sea cucumbers can kill our whole tank? I heard sea apples can but I thought sea cucumbers were safe.

I do have some crabs and 2 coral banded shrimp but I've never seen them bothering the sea cucumber because he's been at the top ever since I got him.

I never heard that sea cucumbers can kill our whole tank? I heard sea apples can but I thought sea cucumbers were safe.

A sea apple is a species of cucumber. All cukes have the ability to expell their innards when under stress and poison the tank, hence the term cuke nuke.

e-cat said:
"they cast out their respiratory trees, gonads, gastrointestinal track and its contents through their mouth and anus. the result is poisoning/pollution/death and destruction too all other tankmates.......some other spieces have a further refinement to this anti-predatation mechanism, useing what are called cuvierian organs. these sticky fibers are discharged out thier ends onto threatening predators." qouted from robert fenner, the conscientous marine aquarist :wink:

Wow. I wonder how the fish store people get them off the glass and into a bag if someone buys one!

reefrunner69 said:

A sea apple is a species of cucumber. All cukes have the ability to expell their innards when under stress and poison the tank, hence the term cuke nuke.

Wow, so my pink knobby cuke could kill my entire tank? I don't even know if I could get rid of him because he's basically impossible to get off the glass. I'm worried now :(

Having a cuke do a "melt down" is not the only threat from these creatures. If the environment you provide is to their liking, they can also spawn. If a male, you will not have much concern as the sperm is easily removed with skimming and carbon and will not poison the water.

The female is quite the opposite. I learned this one the hard way. Having a sea apple about three years back, she decided to release her eggs into the water column which killed every fish in the tank. When this happens, there is little to nothing that can be done about it.

If you do decide on a cuke, I would suggest sticking with a tigertail. If the tank size is larger 75+ gal, there will be much less chance of it nuking the tank and can be helped with a few water changes. Please also be sure the tank is properly mature and stable. Adding them to newer tanks is not advisable due to lack of food and possible poisoning from improper water quality.

Cheers
Steve

WOW, thank Steve-s, now I am really worried. I guess I need to get my pink knobby guy out somehow and take him back to the LFS. Everytime I see them for sale online they don't say anything about them being toxic so I assumed they were ok. I like him so much but I have the worst luck with stuff killing others that are "supposed" to be safe so I better not chance this guy :(

Jamal, be careful, for heaven's sake! Don't stress him out - and don't turn him on either, LOL - when you take him off the glass!! :lol:

We should rename this thread "sand sifters - what NOT to get" :wink:

jamal-188 said:
WOW, thank Steve-s, now I am really worried.
I was not relaying the above to scare or panic you, only to be sure you are informed of what may happen.

To date the only issue I have ever had is with the spawning sea apple. I still have a black knobby, pink/black and tigertail cuke in my 90 gal and have been there for over 4 years...

If you think the conditions are not optimum, then returning it would be the best idea. If the tank is established and stable, the risk is much lower but still exists as it will with all the animals we may care for.

Cheers
Steve

Whew, I got him out without hurting him or turning him on :wink: I feel much better now! It's funny, I just installed my MH lights a few days ago and he hasn't been very happy since then, he was barely hanging on the glass so it's really good I read this post now, he may not be doing to well and could have died and killed everything. Sorry to see him go, he was so cool especially when he was feeding and his little sea weed things were hanging from his mouth catching food. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom