Signs a guppy will give birth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Celticboi87

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gal. Tank with 3 male guppies and six females. 3 of my female guppies are obviously pregnant and based on my calculations due to give birth soon. I've been searching forums looking at pictures of the 'squared off' look, then proceed to stare at me tank for 45 minutes convinced one of the females looks boxed off and ready to give birth soon. Only to arise the next morning and question my previous nights decision completely.

My question is, for those experienced in guppy breeding, what are main, key, and obvious signs to look for in a pregnant guppy to know for sure when to remove her and place her in a breeding tank, breeding box etc. Does it become extremely obvious when a female is squared off and I'm reading to much into it? Or are there other key factors to look for and beware of as well? Any information I can get on this topic will be greatly appreciated!

I have noticed that mine will stop eating before giving birth and they tend to stay away from the other fish. And as far as the squared off look it will become really defined in the back end and not just the front. And every now and then I will get one that goes crazy and starts darting around the tank.

I have noticed that mine will stop eating before giving birth and they tend to stay away from the other fish. And as far as the squared off look it will become really defined in the back end and not just the front. And every now and then I will get one that goes crazy and starts darting around the tank.

Agreed completely.. being very wild and swimming fast.. or even hiding by herself for a few days.. not eating.. other fish nipping at her anal area.. all sure signs

Thanks for all your guys info. Due to it I've been able to correct detect 2 of my females drops over the past two days with 2 more dropping within the next week or so [based in my noob guess] thanks for the help! 25 babies with more to come!

Thanks for all your guys info. Due to it I've been able to correct detect 2 of my females drops over the past two days with 2 more dropping within the next week or so [based in my noob guess] thanks for the help! 25 babies with more to come!

Congrats! Post pics, when you get a chance ,on my fry lovers thread

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom