Signs of platy giving birth again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
My red wag platy had a batch of 45 and it's been 4 weeks since dec 11. How do I know if she is about to give birth again? Last time I was just watching her and lucky to get 43 of those fry. Anything will help! Just don't want them to get eaten by other platys.

Do you use a breeder net, etc? I have a platy in mine and she has had 20 or more.. However I don't know how to tell when she is done before I take her out, also.. Anything special i need to do for them once they are all in the breeder?

KymbecasH said:
Do you use a breeder net, etc? I have a platy in mine and she has had 20 or more.. However I don't know how to tell when she is done before I take her out, also.. Anything special i need to do for them once they are all in the breeder?

I use a breeders trap. When mine stopped she started swimming in the breeders trap but she was still as a statue when she was giving birth. Don't keep her in breeders net or whatever for too long she may stress too much. Today mine got eaten by other platys because she was having her 2nd batch so learned my lesson! She did have 45 platy fry :)

Thank you! Do I have to feed the fry something special? Or often?

KymbecasH said:
Thank you! Do I have to feed the fry something special? Or often?

Umm I feed mine crushed up to a powder flake food or if you dot have that boil egg get yolk crush that up to a powder then give to fry. You can put flakes in bag then crush with finger or rolling pin or whatever. To feed I dip a toothpick in the water then in the crushed up flake food back to the water this avoids getting too much food and getting flakes on your finger stuck. Also heard something about fried brine shrimp and their eggs. If you do eggs it will smell if you keep it too long!! Only did it once or twice.

Thanks so much! I have brine shrimp pellets and flakes so I'll smash the flakes all up! Thanks for your help :)

KymbecasH said:
Thanks so much! I have brine shrimp pellets and flakes so I'll smash the flakes all up! Thanks for your help :)

Welcome !!! Hope it goes well with your fishies!

One more question.. What is the best way to get the platy out of the breeder without getting any get along with her?

Livebearers develope this thing called a "gravid spot" when they are very close to giving birth. Look that up, it looks different depending on the fish, IME.

Smcoyle87 said:
Livebearers develope this thing called a "gravid spot" when they are very close to giving birth. Look that up, it looks different depending on the fish, IME.

Yes they do all livebearers do (common ones) here pic of my prego platy 2-3 before she gave birth and guppy spot.

Smcoyle87 said:
Yes they do all look the same? Is that what your saying?
Thats fine haha, just trying to help.

Umm no did I say that ??

Smcoyle87 said:
No you didn't. Just didn't understand what you said.

Oh ok! Sometimes I type too fast and don't understand what I was trying to say!

I'm confused :) are you talking about my issue? Or the original posters issue? Lol

KymbecasH said:
I'm confused :) are you talking about my issue? Or the original posters issue? Lol

Something I said I typed different so he misunderstood.

Back
Top Bottom