Silica sand? Lies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollabill420

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ive been hearing that silica sand causes algae outbreaks, I switched my 30 gallon over to it because I despise gravel with a passion and have had no problems at all it was cheap too think it was over 80 pounds for 35 bucks, now keep in mind I keep alot of control over my tanks mite be helping and have never seen very much algae in any tanks in our house for almost 20 years, it seems to be a myth created by someone who had outbreaks just after changing to silica sand, but that's a mini cycle not the sand, there's no scientific evidence to support it to being algae prone, there's silica in almost every waterway on earth and there's only algae problems due to humans creating the conditions for it not the sand, what's everyones opinion on this substrate from experience and fact (not he said she said plz, this is how the slander began)

My .02 cents is this. Glass is made from silicate. The silicate in glass does not seem to cause problems for aquariums. I don't notice my glass aquarium being absorbed into the water (at least not at any appreciable rate). I think that new substrates can cause diatom outbreaks with their new tanks. When people change their substrate and say my diatom problem went away... Of course it did. You just had a massive water change and substrate cleaning. The nutrients are gone.

Back
Top Bottom