Silicates problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stan450z

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've posted about this before. I added a lot of new sand in December. This brown scum started appearing. Posted on here and said it would go away after a few weeks or couple months. It's now the end of March and no sign of stopping. I do usual 10-15g changes in my 75g about 10-14 days. Even turn off the lights a few days a week to limit growth. Not sure what it is now or how to stop it. It really looks like crap. I clean off the top layer after every PWC. Pics showing before and after. Btw had Cyano issues before and pretty sure this is not. It used to sit on my rocks when I had it. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1458740212.215853.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1458740255.319680.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1458740265.422538.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1458740288.421146.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks like cyano to me. Reduce nutrients and increase the flow in the area.

I agree with big red with this being cayno
check both your nitrates and phosphates , to lower them bigger water changes more often , along with more flow to the areas where it is present ,
with a tank that size you may be shy on the amount of flow needed ,
I keep 6 powerheads in my 90g one on either end and one in the center rear glass,
I do this both top and bottom you would be surprised on the difference it make's

Thanks. I just have one power head at the top ad my intake. The flow at the bottom is probably nothing. I'll add a couple on either side down low or in the middle. Thanks.

Defo a flow issue my 700L DT has upto 40000LPH of flow if needed and I have found having loads of flow helps keep things clean.

When i want to give it a good shake up and get debris up in the water column so filter can pull it out I whack them right up.

Also high nutrient levels can cause it

I'm going to get a Jebao WP 40 wave maker. I heard those are awesome

Back
Top Bottom