silicone question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankBoss

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, now I know I need to have a backup filter. The silicone seal, holding my pump to the cylinder, failed while I was cleaning.

I cleaned the cylinder and re-sealed the pump the the screw cap. I have a blow dryer (on a cool setting) blowing on the newly sealed filter top. What else can I do? How long can my fry breath without the filter? Will silicone finish curing under water? Will it hurt the fish?

Well, I put the "in-water" filter in my tank. The seal cured for less than an hour so I guess I'll be able to tell you soon if acetic acid is harmful to fish.

Idk how well the silicone is curing but my fish have survived the last 13 hrs.

if you are using silicone to glue plastics you are sure to be disappointed. it doesn't work very well for that.

BillD said:
if you are using silicone to glue plastics you are sure to be disappointed. it doesn't work very well for that.

Nope. It's being used as a sealant. It's nice to know it can be re-sealed so quickly too...much nicer than permanently fixing my pump to such a cheap cylinder.

Back
Top Bottom