Silk plants, how to clean them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Comus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got some silk plants in my tank which I clean in the tank water when I do a water change but they are getting brown algae on them which is hard to remove. I was wondering if I could wash them in a mild bleach formula or would this bleach the colour out of them?

I honestly don't know. I wouldn't think so if it was a mild bleach solution, test a spot and see if it does change the color. If it doesn't remember to rinse them well after and use dechlorinator.

Peroxide as it is "used up" basicly turns into water. You can rinse it off, but the small amount clinging to the plants presents no dangers to your tank... unlike bleach.

Zezmo said:
You can soak silk (and plastic) plants in Hydrogen Peroxide overnight, They will look good as new in the morning.

Sounds good, I'll give it a whirl, thanks people for your help
Neil

Oh sure, take the easy peroxide solution. (Good idea btw, gonna have to try that myself on some rocks)

But if your in for real fun, let the silk dry completely. Dip in isopropyl alchohol briefly, then light the alchohol. If you've done it right, the alchohol will burn off taking all the algea with it. If not, you have a pile of melted ash ,charred plastic and maybe some burnt fingers. Also works on money and some fabrics, with the same dangers...

Note: This can be VERY dangerous to attempt!
The only plus side is it's quick once the plants dry in the first place. It looks cool if you do it right, but man do you look like an idiot if you get it wrong...

Back
Top Bottom