Silver Dollar Busted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcutl002

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I notice my swords and crypts have "chew" marks on them. At first I was thinking snails, but my Clown Loaches keep my snails to a minimum. I am looking at the tank closely observing the fish when one of my silver dollars takes a chunk out of one of my swords. LOL. So,I throw in some hornwort, boy they love that stuff! I did not know silver dollars were vegetarians. They eat flakes just like the other fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I notice my swords and crypts have "chew" marks on them. At first I was thinking snails, but my Clown Loaches keep my snails to a minimum. I am looking at the tank closely observing the fish when one of my silver dollars takes a chunk out of one of my swords. LOL. So,I throw in some hornwort, boy they love that stuff! I did not know silver dollars were vegetarians. They eat flakes just like the other fish.

Lol - I've looked at them as reckon they look great but my guide has something like 'will eat all plants in tank' and plants give me enough trouble.....

I am gonna try to bait them to the floating plants so they will leave the rooted plants alone. If that does not work, I will put in a pond Lilly. Pond Lillies are aggressive plants, so it will be interesting to see who'll win that battle.

Good luck! I'm trying duck weed as I need something for the Molly fry to hide in and I figure I can scope it out as needed to get rid of it. That's the theory :)

I had duckweed, but I scooped it all out. That would be another consideration for these herbivores.

Yeah, going to be interesting. Traditionally my plants don't survive my care or from the fish very long so I'm hoping that we will get to a balance. I'd like the fish to eat that and not the planted ones but probably dreaming.

So far it's been two weeks I think and not much activity but I only put in a handful.

Well, I really love my Silver Dollars. If they eat all of my plants, I'll get a pond Lilly and maybe even some duckweed. I will have plants!

Silver dollars are one of those fish you shouldn't be putting in a planted tank unless you want to plant them an expensive buffet

Back
Top Bottom