Silver Dollar with cloudy eye...help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chriznat20

Aquarium Advice Freak
I noticed today my silver dollar fish has a cloudy eye and looks slightly swollen!! The other silver dollar has no cloudiness, nor do any of my other community.

I performed a 50% water change Wednesday. I do 33% water changes 2x weekly, but I missed 1 water change so I made up on Wednesday with a 50%.

What do I do for the fish? Should I QT the fish? What causes cloudy eyes?

Bacterial infections (internal) can cause them. If it looks swollen, I would search pop eye, and see if that looks like what he has.

Quite often it can be bacterial, it can also be caused by an injury. Is there anything he might have damaged his eye on?

I have had great success with pristine water conditions. It sounds like you have a good regimine for water changes so I doubt it is the water parameters.

Have you added anything new to the tank?

Well, it must've been an injury... today it looks a lot better and the cloudiness is now confined to an area about 1/3 the size of a pencil eraser, whereas the other day it was more widespread. I bet its healing....

On the same note, this is the silver dollar that Ive witnessed "diving" into the gravel to stir up food! Crazy little dude....lol.

Sounds like you found the problem then! Yayy! Glad it wasn't bacterial. ;) Just keep his water clean, and he should be good to go!

I am glad to hear it was only an injury! It is quite common for fish to get eye injuries, especially when they are curious fishes.

Back
Top Bottom