Silver shark death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

titchrules

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well after being worried yesterday. Isolating him from the other inhabitants in the tank
The sharky died this morning.
It seems as though he had a kink in his body so he couldn't swim.
Keeping an eye in the rest of the tank but if the disease has spread what are the signs ??
Sadly he only lived for two days. Luckily he will be exchanged by the supplier.

Water conditions came back perfectly fine. No ammonia, and no nitrites and nitrates.

I believe he probably had a defect.
The tank is 64litres. Before I get jumped on for that... I intend to purchase a much bigger tank once we get more involved with the hobby.
This is a starter tank. Were aware how big the sharks CoULD grow to and have looked into future tanks.

The other sharky is fine. Swimming around contently.
I am just a bit concerned that if the now dead shark had a disease that it could affect the other fish.

Just keep watching your other fish and see if they come up with any of the symptoms tour fish had or see if their behavior changes

Thank you. If any do start to swim funny whats the best medicine? I would rather be safe than sorry you see!

I wouldn't know what to treat it with because I don't know any I the symptoms. However if you do notice a difference post the symptoms, and people here will help diagnose your fish. And then whether or not treatment needs to be added can be determined.

Sorry for you lose just keep an eye on the other, if it starts to act strange take pictures/ video and post it so the members can help diagnose the problem.

On a side note and in no means is this an attack on you just my two cents. I'm glad to hear that you will be upgrading your tank once you get "more involved" in the hobby but if you happen to buy any more fish I would recommend getting some "starter fish" that would be the appropriate size for your tank and I know the members here would love to help you come up with a stock list.

Thank you.
For the time being there are 5 male guppies.
Now one silver shark.
The store said they would replace the poor one that died. So as of tomorrow 2 silver sharks. (the tank will be upgraded in good time for their growth).

Also intended for the tank are a few cardinal tetras. Some rummy nose tetras and some zebra danios.
I had wanted two angel fish but not until we get a bigger tank.

Does that sound reasonable?!
Thanks

Those schooling fish would be eaten by angels even though I've had no experience

Oh. That's concerning.
We spoke to someone at the store who said if you kept two that they would leave the other fish alone.
Maybe il leave angel fish then.

GrimmGoby said:
Bala Sharks need to be in groups of more then three to live comfortably.

There's far too much conjecture. The store told me again two just like the angels.
There needs to be a fish keeping bible!!

Will certainly look into the three. We were going to have just the one but my dh and store man said two.
I probably have newbie and mug written all over my face when I go to pet shop!!

titchrules said:
There's far too much conjecture. The store told me again two just like the angels.
There needs to be a fish keeping bible!!

Will certainly look into the three. We were going to have just the one but my dh and store man said two.
I probably have newbie and mug written all over my face when I go to pet shop!!

Its just to disperse the aggression between the Bala's, and there also really skiddish.

One Bala will be very skiddish, and will constantly hit the glass, and will always be stressed. Two will would be the same, just as skiddish. And if you do three Bala's, one will be subjected to bullying from the other two.

You seem to be making uneducated picks in fish. Not to insult, but you need to research better before purchasing fish. If this silver shark is a pangasius catfish, it will get huge fast. Also, the bala's will get too big, although they grow at a slower rate. It is great that you plan on getting a bigger tank, but you should plan for the tank you have.

spoonman said:
You seem to be making uneducated picks in fish. Not to insult, but you need to research better before purchasing fish. If this silver shark is a pangasius catfish, it will get huge fast. Also, the bala's will get too big, although they grow at a slower rate. It is great that you plan on getting a bigger tank, but you should plan for the tank you have.

Please note that I mentioned intended fish. Which are open to suggestion and advice.
I have said I will upgrade the tank. We told the pet store when we purchased the silver Bala sharks the size of the tank. The inhabitants and they were fine with that.

I cannot afford to purchase a bigger tank at present. As much as I would like to. By the time the silver Bala sharks are ready to go into a bigger tank then I will have a bigger tank.

We have researched and also gotten advice from independent suppliers, even those who started out as a hobbyists first.
I'm asking for advice here as there's so much conflicting over tropicals. One store says one thing. Another says something different. Friends say different yet again. And people on here say different.
You must understand it's confusing!

The best method of choosing fish is to research on the web. The local fish stores will often tell you that your choices are fine. They are in the business of selling fish. Please keep that in mind when shopping for fish. I recommend going to the store, if you see something you like, then go home and look it up on the web or ask at this site. I know its confusing, but be patient. I have a pangasius catfish in a 240 gallon tank, and he is outgrowing it. I dont know what I am going to do with it. I dont want others to be in the same situation. It is not good for the hobbyist or the fish.

I get confused with gallons and litres.
I will do that in future.
I see your point that stores want to make a profit etc. It's sad really that they don't offer the right advice. Il ask here in future.

I did see online that a few more tetras wouldn't be bad.
The plan is to get a few of those in a few weeks.
Thank you for your advice!
:)

By the way that sounds like an impressive tank!! Would have to sacrifice the tv and sofa for one of those in my living room!!

titchrules said:
Thank you.
For the time being there are 5 male guppies.
Now one silver shark.
The store said they would replace the poor one that died. So as of tomorrow 2 silver sharks. (the tank will be upgraded in good time for their growth).

Also intended for the tank are a few cardinal tetras. Some rummy nose tetras and some zebra danios.
I had wanted two angel fish but not until we get a bigger tank.

Does that sound reasonable?!
Thanks

I wouldn't add anymore fish to the tank, just leave the shark and guppies in there until you can afford to upgrade. Also if you are buying fish from a chain pet store I would not listen to a word they say, they will tell you just about anything to make a sale. Your best bet would be to look up a fish online or ask members of this forum.

Back
Top Bottom