Single black moor constantly laying eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kormaniac

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My elder mom has a black moor single female. The fish seems to lay eggs, scattered around her tank every week or two. This forces my mom to clean the tank as often because it gets cloudy and starts to smell. Is there any way to deter a moor from laying eggs as it’s not an easy task for my mom to constantly be emptying and cleaning the tank. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! There is a male beta in a nearby tank but this has been going on before she got the beta as well.

How big is the tank? Is it cycled? Try having the water tested first, you can usually ask a fish store to do it if you don't have a kit.

You can try raising the temp a little as goldfish prefer to spawn in low to mid 70s degree water. By making the water not ideal for spawning, the fish should stop laying eggs. After a cool water change however, she may go at it once again for a time or two.
The only real way to prevent your fish from spawning is to have males only. :(

How big is the tank? Is it cycled? Try having the water tested first, you can usually ask a fish store to do it if you don't have a kit.

The tank is 10 gallons and if ‘cycled’ means a filter and bubbler, then yes. What would the water be tested for? i.e. what would we be looking for?

You can try raising the temp a little as goldfish prefer to spawn in low to mid 70s degree water. By making the water not ideal for spawning, the fish should stop laying eggs. After a cool water change however, she may go at it once again for a time or two.
The only real way to prevent your fish from spawning is to have males only. :(
Ahhh. Okay, thank you!

10 gallons is too small for a black koor let alone any tankmates. You need around 20-30 gallons. When you test the water you are looking for 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and nitrates around 5ppm to 20ppm.
I reccomend reading the articles on this site about cycling a tank because yours doesn't sound cycled. The cloudiness is probably from a bacterial bloom caused by the constant cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom