Single or Pair?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kzoofish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon low tech planted tank that I want to add either a single or pair of Bolivian Ram(s). Any opinions? I want a cool feature fish and like the look of Rams, and my ph seems a bit high for my dream of an apistogramma.

Current stock:
7 preacox rainbows.
4 neon tetras
2 ottos

I have relatively high filtration. I'm on a weekly 40% water change schedule. Slightly elevated ph levels but they don't swing, and I treat with a bit of peat moss in the filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do Rams have a better quality of life in a pair? Are they more active? Are breeding pairs more likely to be more aggressive towards other fish?

I have a 29 gallon low tech planted tank that I want to add either a single or pair of Bolivian Ram(s). Any opinions? I want a cool feature fish and like the look of Rams, and my ph seems a bit high for my dream of an apistogramma.

Current stock:
7 preacox rainbows.
4 neon tetras
2 ottos

I have relatively high filtration. I'm on a weekly 40% water change schedule. Slightly elevated ph levels but they don't swing, and I treat with a bit of peat moss in the filter.

If you can keep the otos alive, you might want to try out a pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides. They are the most hardy apisto I've kept (I've kept about 15 species or so) and are quite tolerant of a variety of water conditions. There are several color variants as well as wild type available in the hobby.

Bolivian rams are also a great choice, they are easy to keep but IMO are more shy than cacatuoides.

Do Rams have a better quality of life in a pair? Are they more active? Are breeding pairs more likely to be more aggressive towards other fish?

I don't think it's a quality of life issue whether you want to keep a single or a pair. It's really up to you. Breeding pairs may be aggressive toward other fish, but most other fish are pretty good about staying out of their way.

+1 for apisto cacs, great little fish, lots of character!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom