Sinking Pellets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamlo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All, I've got 3 fancy goldfish and I've just bought Tetra Gold sinking tablets. My question is, how many should I be putting in the tank? I know about the all they can eat in 2 minute general rule but when they sink to the bottom my fish seem oblivious that the pellets are there. I don't really want to net them out after 2 minutes as I don't know if they have all had some or not. Can anyone help? Thanks

Hi All, I've got 3 fancy goldfish and I've just bought Tetra Gold sinking tablets. My question is, how many should I be putting in the tank? I know about the all they can eat in 2 minute general rule but when they sink to the bottom my fish seem oblivious that the pellets are there. I don't really want to net them out after 2 minutes as I don't know if they have all had some or not. Can anyone help? Thanks
If they don't eat them within 5 minutes, net it out, and try again in an hour or two. Keep doing that until they eat it. It should work.

My fish follow me around my living room waiting for food. I try to think about how big a fish stomach is and give them about that much. For my goldfish that's about 3 medium sized pellets each. So I drop in 9 or 10 pellets and they always eat all of it quickly.

My fish follow me around my living room waiting for food. I try to think about how big a fish stomach is and give them about that much. For my goldfish that's about 3 medium sized pellets each. So I drop in 9 or 10 pellets and they always eat all of it quickly.
Goldfish have a stomach approximately the size of their eye.

Goldfish have a stomach approximately the size of their eye.

Not true. Telescoped eyed fish have very large eyes. Goldfish also do not have 'true' stomaches that can store food. Its more just an extention of their intestines. This is why they are constantly hungry and foraging for food-what goes in is immediately digested. They fare better with multiple meals spread out over the course of a day. Slower goldfish that have visual impairments such as moors or bubbles also need to be given ample time to find food. It may take them five or ten minutes or longer.

To the OP, goldfish that are not actively eating and foraging indicates a problem. It may just be the poor quality food or it may be toxins in the tank. What size tank is this? How do your numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph look?

Not true. Telescoped eyed fish have very large eyes. Goldfish also do not have 'true' stomaches that can store food. Its more just an extention of their intestines. This is why they are constantly hungry and foraging for food-what goes in is immediately digested. They fare better with multiple meals spread out over the course of a day. Slower goldfish that have visual impairments such as moors or bubbles also need to be given ample time to find food. It may take them five or ten minutes or longer.

To the OP, goldfish that are not actively eating and foraging indicates a problem. It may just be the poor quality food or it may be toxins in the tank. What size tank is this? How do your numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph look?
Then my excuses. I guess ill know now.

Back
Top Bottom