Sinking wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anonfoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What's the quickest way to sink driftwood without using a slate stone attachment?

I have a fairly large piece of driftwood which would probably need a fairly large piece of slate which I dont want to deal with. I know it will eventually sink but I'm looking for ways to speed up the process. Right now I have it submerged in the bathtub to increase surface area of absorbtion. Does hot or cold water make a difference? Any other techniques besides patience? I want to put them in my tank before the end of March.

Thanks for the help...

I would bet your just going to have to wait it out I used boiling water. boiling water also helps get the tannins(sp) out. keep changing your water and wait it out

The fastest and safest method if the driftwood will actually sink is to boil it.

I've also heard of people putting driftwood through a dishwasher (without soap of course) a time or two. Personally I find this method a bit risky because of the possibility of soap residue from prior runs.

Cool thanks for the info. The wood is definately too big to put in a pot to boil, even the big commercial ones but maybe I can just boil some water and fill the tub, it should stay hot for a little bit, then repeat daily or something until its sunk.

I recently made a post about this very subject...I got the same replies ...either boil it or anchor it.
I boiled my piece of wood. and it worked perfectly
I had to do this a few times however because the first 3 or 4 times the water came out dark brown and got progresively clearer..I did this to get the tannins out. and the last time i boiled it the water was almost clear...
My other suggestions would be to first anchor the wood while you boil it to make sure its completely submerged and also let the water cool before changing it out and boiling it agian..this will ensure the wood will sink even quicker...

Back
Top Bottom