Size and dominance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowman17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Any one know if there's a connection with how dominant a fish is and its size? I've had a few mbuna for about 2 years now and they are all a different size with my lab being the smallest and the least dominant, and my red zebra the tank boss and the biggest with my carbro right behind in size. My labs seems to hit a shelf even one of my hybrid fry that survived has caught him in size

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

From my experience, size does play a factor, though its not as big a factor as you might think. Size helps a fish to be dominant, but I've seen my 2.5" red shoulder chase and stare down my 6" Taiwan reef.

Also have a JD that is close to 9" and he is the least dominant in the tank. Runs away from everything.

Yea my carbro witch is my second biggest gets punked by my lab who gets bullied by all the bigger fish lol crazy how things work in these tanks, I just hope he's not stunted or something else because he really hasn't grew compared to others

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My ice blue is my dominate male. There all pretty much the same size, but my albino (not exactly sure what it is since it has no color to go on), who is a tad smaller will give him a run for his money if he chooses too. I think being a larger fish gives them the upper hand. But like the old saying goes "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog", just in this case it's fishes! My smaller convicts will give the huge dad a run for his money as well.

Back
Top Bottom