Size Choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygurl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so I am trying to decide on a size for my first reef tank. I know that bigger is better, but price is going to have to be a consideration. Here are my choices:

40 Gallon Breeder: 36 x 18 x 16
50 Gallon: 36 x 18 x 18

I chose these over the 55 because the 55 gallon is only 13 inches deep, but does that make sense, or would it be better with a reef tank to have more length than depth?

Longer and more shallow is best for a reef tank. Less depth means better light pentration and a larger footprint for more gas exchange. However, when comparing the 40gal breeder vs. the 50gal, I would be inclined to go for the 50gal. 10 more gallons of water is a good thing. With a couple of 150watt MH bulbs over top you should not have any trouble with light penetration.

I agree with Brian that more water volume is better. As far as the 55 gallon tank I would choose that for your fish. Longer means more swimming room, and the depth on a 55 is good for corals also. My choice would be the 55 gallon.

fishygurl said:
Sorry, I used the word depth wrong. I meant width. As in, more aquascaping room.

I knew you did because I had a 55 a while back. I was able to still aquascape and have plenty of space. Let the LR lay on the back glass. That way you kill two birds with one stone. Plenty of room out front and it makes the fish swim out front where you can see them.

Where do you find a 50 gallon breeder? I'm in providence, RI, and I've been running around all the different LFS, Petsmart, Petco, everywhere! Can't seem to find one.

I had a 50 gal setup and loved it. It is the exact same dimesions as a 75, 18" wide but is 3' long instead of 4'long, which is the same as a 6' 125 I believe.

Back
Top Bottom