Sk3llys 60P Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry to hear about your tank. Seems like you're due for a new build though. This is the second I've followed. It's really cool seeing how your style changes from tank to tank!

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

After careful monitoring ive decided they are scratches and not cracks so ive continued with my current scape.

The low light tank has really started to take shape. Im deciding to post a photo after a long time without. Although i realise theres no members here anymore lol.

Im slightly annoyed because i treated some minor GSA on my anubias tree with a h2o misting. Needless to say i messed up and its killed a good 75% of the leaves. Im waiting for the die off to finish before introducing new anubias.

In the back left im still waiting for crypt balansae to take off. Its slowly starting to show above the rock.

In the back right theres lots of newly planted crypt wendtii brown which is slowly starting to take hold.

Photos to follow ...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm glad you're still posting on here. Your tank is aesthetically pleasing! Awesome as always.

Looks good Skelly. Must say I much prefer the look of the tank now as opposed to when it was first set up (not that the was anything wrong with your chosen scape at that time). I prefer lower light plants most of time. Reading your thread you can see how you have progressed with experience of using different plants and changing conditions to suit. I think these experiences will have already improved your abilities more than you realise and you will be better equipped to deal with most situations from now on. I think that's the best part of this thread. It feels like you are finally at piece with this tank and it looks very clean and healthy.

How do you find the balancing act under lower light as opposed to high light? I only ran high light for about a month and immediately switched back to low light. I find high light tanks can be a little unstable and you have to be on point nearly all of the time. I haven't got the energy for that.

Now that you have found your happy medium what would you do differently in a hypothetical new scape?

Looks excellent man!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks good Skelly. Must say I much prefer the look of the tank now as opposed to when it was first set up (not that the was anything wrong with your chosen scape at that time). I prefer lower light plants most of time. Reading your thread you can see how you have progressed with experience of using different plants and changing conditions to suit. I think these experiences will have already improved your abilities more than you realise and you will be better equipped to deal with most situations from now on. I think that's the best part of this thread. It feels like you are finally at piece with this tank and it looks very clean and healthy.

How do you find the balancing act under lower light as opposed to high light? I only ran high light for about a month and immediately switched back to low light. I find high light tanks can be a little unstable and you have to be on point nearly all of the time. I haven't got the energy for that.

Now that you have found your happy medium what would you do differently in a hypothetical new scape?

I find it incredibly easy now. Dose very little. Run co2 pretty lean but consistent. Keep my lighting low snd resist urges to ramp it up. Plants are chosen to suit the conditions. I actually much prefer the low light scapes now too. Crypts, buces and anubias' are more interesting to me than stems.

Well ive got another scape planned out in my head. Will be a lot of stone work, put together with an epoxy resin. Will be like a mountain cave opening up to a sandy beach up front. Lots of crypts on lower areas and my buces amongst the stone work

I find it incredibly easy now. Dose very little. Run co2 pretty lean but consistent. Keep my lighting low snd resist urges to ramp it up. Plants are chosen to suit the conditions. I actually much prefer the low light scapes now too. Crypts, buces and anubias' are more interesting to me than stems.

I think these kind of tanks are the most stable and easy to run. More people should practice low light co2 tanks and use plants that suit the environment. This way is better for the fish too.

Look forward to the new scape!

You seem to have a lot of knowledge. How many hours do you run your light for this tank, and do you find the Anubias gets too much light being so high up? I'm only asking because I've been toying with a similar idea. It's beautiful btw.

Oh I almost forgot...how do you attach your Anubias to the wood? I was thinking about drilling holes, but would love to know your experience.

Last edited:
You seem to have a lot of knowledge. How many hours do you run your light for this tank, and do you find the Anubias gets too much light being so high up? I'm only asking because I've been toying with a similar idea. It's beautiful btw.

Oh I almost forgot...how do you attach your Anubias to the wood? I was thinking about drilling holes, but would love to know your experience.

Thank you. I run mine for 6 hours in one stint. Ive had to be very careful with those anubias. Too much light and the leaves melt slightly. Its really a case of observing and adjusting. I used to use fishing line but now i use super glue! Drain tank below the branch. I dry the area im about to glue and away i go

Thanks. Does the super glue leave white spots, or ever become detached? Any advice on that?

Thanks. Does the super glue leave white spots, or ever become detached? Any advice on that?

Any excess will show up white once under water. I use it very carefully. The plant will hide the glue eventually. Also by the time the glue fails the plant has rooted firmly onto wood or stone so its no issue. Super glue 'gel' is the best stuff

Hey Sk3lly, do you have an Eheim Skim 350 in this tank? If so, do you like it? I'd like to remove my powerhead for my fish as I believe they'd appreciate lower flow, and I wanted to add a small device so that I'd have around 6x turnover rate--rather than 13x, which my slow swimming fish don't appreciate.

Yea how do u like it skully been thinking about getting one

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

They're sweet little skimmers. Have 2 running for years and nothing but good things to say

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yea great little skimmers. Not had any problems with it and it must be almost 2 years old.

+3 to the eheim skimmer. Only complaint is that they shoot micro bubbles if the sponge is clean and the power is maxed. I keep mine on the lowest power though and its perfect

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom