Sk3lly's Tank Progression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello guys. Well the neon didnt make it. Maybe the stress of moving was just too much for the little thing.

I tried to do a 'post mortem' type thing to try find out more on what was happening to try learn more incase other tank mates get infected. It would seem my little tetra was actually a female and she had a belly full of eggs.

Is it possible for her to of had problems with releasing these eggs? Maybe causing her enough stress so that she became weak and developed this fungus?

Im thinking its not columnaris as all other occupants are fine

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oooo oooooo!!! I got one!!! Hear me out. She's been in a tank with 2 rams that will eat everything in sight, including but not exclusively, tiny baby shrimp and their own eggs.. on occasion. The mother seeing all this mayhem? Held her eggs until she fell ill, she couldn't bare the thought of raising her youth in such a ruthless, dog eat dog world. This protective instinct would ultimately be her demise as the sheer stress of holding in all those eggs proved to much for the fare capsule. Farewell thee neon... :curtains:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oooo oooooo!!! I got one!!! Hear me out. She's been in a tank with 2 rams that will eat everything in sight, including but not exclusively, tiny baby shrimp and their own eggs.. on occasion. The mother seeing all this mayhem? Held her eggs until she fell ill, she couldn't bare the thought of raising her youth in such a ruthless, dog eat dog world. This protective instinct would ultimately be her demise as the sheer stress of holding in all those eggs proved to much for the fare capsule. Farewell thee neon... :curtains:

Do you think its possible?? Im just trying to think of reasons why.

In my opinion fish commonly get sick through stress or bad water conditions. Im very confident my water is nice, so im looking for reasons of stress. I do think its ram related

Although it may have sounded like a joke I was seriuous.. I'm pretty sure most egg scatters' can/will hold until they feel it is the right time to drop em.. could have been the same exact thing happening in my tank but I never got all sk3lly butcher to find out;) kudos on that though.. you may have just answered a million questions!

I think livebearers can absorb a miscarriage or a batch of fry they don't feel safe dropping. Maybe egg-scatterers can too but this one failed?

It's a neon. I wouldn't fret. Go pick up half a dozen more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's a neon. I wouldn't fret. Go pick up half a dozen more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not fretting at all. I think i mentioned i was interested to find out. I also mentioned i was only bothered about my rams as neons and rummies are easy to get

So just the one done for now? Others still looking ragged?

Well theres one other neon that looks a bit beaten up, but he has been for months and months. Think its probably defects in the scale patterns. Looks to be the runt of the group. Theres also one with a slightly damaged tail fin but again its been like this for a while. I think i'll just leave be and keep an eye on everyone

Just save the rams at all costs!

Do we think the rams are too aggressive towards ember tetras? Fancy getting a shoal of 10

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Do we think the rams are too aggressive towards ember tetras? Fancy getting a shoal of 10

I think it's doable, I put a shoal of 14 in with the apistos and they're all fine, rams mouths are half the size of the male apisto too.

Cool! I like the embers alot, lots of personality in such a small fish. Colors are coming in nicely too!

Cool! I like the embers alot, lots of personality in such a small fish. Colors are coming in nicely too!

Hoping they colour into a nice red/orange

That's what they tell me.. mine have colored up a touch, nothing to dramatic yet.. hoping the frozen cyclops and brine gets them going.

That's what they tell me.. mine have colored up a touch, nothing to dramatic yet.. hoping the frozen cyclops and brine gets them going.

I hope they take to my live food regime. That should help coloration. They look great shoaling around the tank together :) very happy with them

Hello guys, hope all is well with everyone and their tanks.

Tonight is likely to be my last post on this thread as i will be getting ready to start my new build soon and that will take up my time going forward.

I shall be posting a link to a youtube video of my tank. It will be a short video of the livestock within the tank, the plants hopefully pearling nicely and a little sunset effect on the solunar/bml combo. Although i dont know how well that will come across via video.

Stay posted :)

Back
Top Bottom