Skimmer less system possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So take off the teflon tape and add this? Do you know if HD sells something similar?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I took it apart and redid the Teflon tape and I tightened up the bulkheads a little more. I only have one return that has a slow drip now. Would any of these products work without having to take the return apart? Can't I just add some silicone where the drip is?

I messed up by putting the bubble trap baffles in the wrong sides. The taller baffle was supposed to be on the left side. Can I get away with removing the last baffle closest to the return pump? Ild hate to have to pull them both out and switch them. I'm waiting till I purchase the bubble magus curve 5 skimmer to section off the skimmer.

Yes, you probably can. It depends how much flow you have going through there and how many bubbles are making it past the over and under partitions. If the flow is slow enough, you'll be fine.

Thanks your help is greatly appreciated. Since you recommended the Curve 5 would you happen to know how much space I should leave to comfortably work that skimmer? I was thinking of having about 8 inches for the skimmer section.

Thanks, now I just need the skimmer, Chaeto with sump light and I plan on adding a mesh top to keep the fish inside.

I know I'm coming into this conversation late, but I just came upon this thread and I have an idea for you.

Background: For the last year I was fighting an algae outbreak in my tank. I have a 110 gal tank with sump, a Reef Octopus SRO 2000 (for up to a 500 gal tank) and a reactor running phosguard. Nitrates and phosphates were all 0, yet I had algae. I tried everything to get rid of it, but in the end a large CUC of hermits has solved my problems. However, during this process, towards the end, someone mentioned an Algae Turf Scrubber (ATS) might be the way to go. So a few months ago I built an ATS and pulled both the skimmer and reactor out (along with their not so silent pumps). Low and behold, that was the start to my road to recovery. Even without the skimmer for a few months now, and increasing my feeding schedule (daily feeding now), my algae is almost completely gone, with the last few spots shrinking noticeably daily.

For what your pics show of your sump, you are perfectly set up for what I wish I would have done as I also have a 2 section sump. I would consider a weir type ATS setup. This would require very little to build in the sump you showed on the 25th.

You would need some 1/2" pvc pipe, fittings, an acrylic rod and #7 plastic sewing mesh.
Using the fittings and pipe, you would build a few vertical pipes along the front and back glass, held apart by a couple pipes connecting the front and back rows.
The vertical pipes would have a slit cut on the inside right thru to the top of the pipe.
Then the mesh would be cut long enough to fit into the slit in a front and corresponding back pipe. a length of acrylic rod would be cut to the same height as the pipes and zip tied to either end of the mesh. The rods would slide down into the pipes with the mesh going out the slots.
Water in the sump would then flow through the mesh screens and with a light, algae would grow there. You would easily remove the screens on a 1 a week or 2 basis and scrape it clean. Your pods would love it.
Best of all, I have only the return pump in my sump, no more noisy skimmer and reactor pumps to listen to.

I'll try to post a drawing of what I'm trying to describe.

I'll give that a try although I added a baffle for the skimmer section. Doing some research now on how to build that.

I finally bought a skimmer and I went with the curve 5. I have had it running for 2 days with no luck. It just overflows. I have it sitting at about 8 inches of water. No matter how much I keep adjusting it I can't get it to stop over filling. Has anyone had this same problem?

Yep, the max and min are the wrong way round! Run it on max for a while and then adjust it accordingly

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Many wipe out new skimmers with vinegar to remove factory "release" agents.
many most skimmers take days if not a week or more to break in.
Is there any flow(water gph) control?
IMO you want to slow the water speed and leave the air flow as is to control the overflowing.
Being new to skimmers it is a balancing act to get flow in,air and out flow in tune.
If you can't control it then let it overflow (hopefully back into sump?) until it breaks in.

Yeah I've had it on max for 2 days now. I guess I'll give it a couple more days to see if it adjusts.

Back
Top Bottom