Skimmer not pulling correctly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tkey3425

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think my skimmer is out of date/just worn out. It is an AeTech ETSS model. I bought it used and I've used it for years but now the bubbles in the column are just big bubbles no more fine bubble. I've cleaned it completely and done all I can but its just done I'm sure plus it hardly ever pulls any skim. In the last 3 months I've emptied it maybe 3 times and none were with it being full. What's a good skimmer that is good for reef tanks and runs external from the sump. Tank is 180 gallons and I assume I have a heavy bio load. I like variety. I don't want something that will break the bank but I want something good so my nitrates will stay down. I'm doing crazy WC and I think it's because this skimmer isn't pulling much. Stock is 2 Oc clowns, 2 saddleback clowns, foxface, 3 PJ cardinals, baghai cardinal, lawnmower blenny, ORA mandarin on frozen foods :), big old condylactis, 2 LG cleaner shrimp, 1 LG coral banded, 5 peppermint, cleanup crew with snails, hermits, etc. BUT I'm adding a tomini flame fin tang and 3 green chromis Tuesday. Plus I have an assortment of coral. I've looked at some skimmers but I have no clue what I'm looking at its been so long and they have changed so much. I don't have any room left in my sump and I have a 700gph pump I'm running my skimmer on. Any help would be great. I saw the reef octopus but didn't know if there were better bang for you buck deals

Before spending big bucks on a new skimmer try replacing the impeller/needle wheel on the pump you're currently running as this is the only moving part it's the one area that will see wear and tear

Before spending big bucks on a new skimmer try replacing the impeller/needle wheel on the pump you're currently running as this is the only moving part it's the one area that will see wear and tear

It only uses a single feed pump and it is brand new. Less than two months old. It is just an old style and it hasn't ever really worked the way I wanted. I'm just looking for a good external skimmer to replace it will rated for at least 200 gallons or more since I'm going to upgrade eventually......I hope.

Back
Top Bottom