Skimmer problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LdIZzY

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a reef octopus 110 installed in my sump/refugium. Once I plugged it in it seemed to be working fine but then after a day it doesn't seem to be working properly. It doesn't bubble all the way to the top anymore. It's all in the neck area. Does this mean my water is clean? Or what else can it be? Do I need a new one? Help!!

I don't have that make/model, but most are adjustable. Try playing with the air intake or it could be the height of the skimmer in relation to the water level.

I have the same skimmer in my sump, works great. Whats the water level youre running it in? Exhaust port shouldnt be under water. If this is a newer skimmer it does take a fee days to break in.

How much of it is suppose to be submerged? I bought it used from another reefer so instructions were not included. The outlet is submerged so I will try and raise that up as well. Thank you!!! I will try and keep updates.

I have a reef octopus bh100 and I like putting the bottom of the cup between the overflow hole for a half dry skim. The further down the wetter skim in relation the further it is up the dryer the skim. If the bubbles are in the middle of the neck it's more of a dry skim. Too dry and the gunk will attach itself to the inside neck. Hope this helps

I have the BH-1000 and I was wondering why sometimes I'd get a really wet skim and other times it would be stuck in the neck of the outlet.

I will play with the placement of the box now to get it right in the middle!

Thanks Lee! :thanks:

No problem. It was a pain in the *** till I figured it out. If you look on the side there's a overflow hole next to the collection cup. Try setting the bottom of the cup in the center of the hole. That's where I have mine and it works like a champ. And I think mines the 1000 or the 100 I'm not sure. All I remember it can handle up to a 100gal tank. Good luck.

Well I tried everything... Maybe I jus need to wait it out a little longer. It's only been a week.

You have to let it break in. Most skimmers when you put them in they do not work right away due to the grease on the acrylic from when it was fabricated. My reef octopus took almost 2 weeks before it started working correctly

Before you start it up make sure there was water in the skimmer first. But you will get microbubbles for awhile but you can use the blue sponge that comes with it to reduce it

Madcrazyroyboy said:
I have a reef octopus bh100 and I like putting the bottom of the cup between the overflow hole for a half dry skim. The further down the wetter skim in relation the further it is up the dryer the skim. If the bubbles are in the middle of the neck it's more of a dry skim. Too dry and the gunk will attach itself to the inside neck. Hope this helps

Where/what is the overflow hole?

Back
Top Bottom