Skimmer Recomendations for 125g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cashmoney6980

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I have finally saved the funds for a new skimmer for my 125g w/40g sump! I'm upgrading from a coralife super skimmer, which has worked mediocre for me while my bio load is still very small...but I knew I wouldn't want to keep it forever.

I looking for a good quality skimmer that will be able to handle any sized bio load I might throw at it. I've been looking into reef octopus skimmers, but there's so many different sub categories of reef octopuses that I don't really know which one to look into! And if anyone thinks I'd be able to get a better bang for my buck with say, an eshopps cone, or a hydro skimmer, plz feel free to say! I'm open to look into any other options!!

Also, how large of a skimmer should I get? I've read that some people say you should get a skimmer that's rated for twice the size of your tank or even 3-4 times the size.. But I've read that if a skimmer is too big for your tank, it doesn't perform at its maximum capabilities because its handling too small of a load for such a big skimmer...

Any ideas, Recomendations, or input would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks much!!

Aqua c urchin Insump is what I ran on my 125 before downsizing ran great also change the pump to an ocean runner or2500...excellent skimmer

I been looking at Bubble Magus skimmers as well. Seems like they are rather good quality and powerful for a rather decent price. Anyone have any experience with those?

ccCapt said:

One of the only things that has kept me from completely deciding on reef octopus, is the pump. I would much prefer the bubble blaster compared to the sicce because from what I've seen the sicce has troubles starting back up from a power outtage and is a bit louder than the BB. And to get a bubble blaster pump it would be an extra $150-200. Have you had any troubles with the sicce pump?

Well I've come down to a choice between two different skimmers... And any input on which I should choose would be greatly appreciated! I've been wracking my brain trying to decide...

It's between one of these 2...
Bubble Magus NAC-77 (rated for 210-315gallon with two Atman 2500 pumps)
...or...
Reef Octopus Diablo XS-200 (rated for up to 200 gallon with one Sicce 2500 pump)

There's only a $20 difference between the 2, so not a real big deal which I get. Please please add any info on why I should choose one over the other! Thank you for looking!

Well I went with the Bubble Magus NAC-77. And all I can say, is this thing is a tank! It's real big, and skims like crazy! Definately happy with my choice! It's well built, and definately well worth the $! Would highly recommend it!!

image-1766282118.jpg
image-962309400.jpg

Back
Top Bottom