Skimming during cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Antec

Aquarium Advice Freak
At what point,if any, during my cycle should I start running my skimmer?

Antec said:
At what point,if any, during my cycle should I start running my skimmer?

Immediately.

Absolutely no reason not to run it. It plays no role in inhibiting anything.

Yea I have been lol. Quick question, what test kit and refractometer would you recommend?

Cant go wrong with salifert test kits, they are very accurate and reliable however a little bit pricier. If you want cheap go with API master test kits, but they are known well to be inaccurate.

As far as refractometer, having one puts you ahead of the game in the first place and anyone should serve you well. I bought mine from marinedepot.com for about $50 I believe.

Yea I have been lol. Quick question, what test kit and refractometer would you recommend?

Cant go wrong with salifert test kits, they are very accurate and reliable however a little bit pricier. If you want cheap go with API master test kits, but they are known well to be inaccurate.

As far as refractometer, having one puts you ahead of the game in the first place and anyone should serve you well. I bought mine from marinedepot.com for about $50 I believe.

Make sure to get a calibrating solution when you get your refractometer. They're never calibrated by the factory.

I haven't seen calibrating fluid at most LFS' to be honest. I'd call some around your area and see what they sell. If not, just get the BRS calibrating fluid. That's what I did.

Ok thanks man. And one more question on another topic. Im starting my cycle and Can I just put any kind of frozen shrimp in my tank? Do I just drop it in there?

I bought an aquacraft one from bulkreefsupply.com right before I saw ur comment lol.

Ok thanks man. And one more question on another topic. Im starting my cycle and Can I just put any kind of frozen shrimp in my tank? Do I just drop it in there?

If you use shrimp as your ammonia source, use a raw/uncooked shrimp. I personally would recommend dosing with pure ammonia. Once you figure out how much you need to dose to 4ppm ammonia, it's very easy to redose. Plus, it doesn't stink like raw shrimp.

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

(y)

Not cooked. A couple friends have had issues with frozen shrimp that has had freezer burn. If you can, I'd just buy a fresh/uncooked large shrimp from the seafood department of your local grocer.

Alright thanks. I just took it out, but it was just floating. Should it sink?

The shrimp should float until it starts to absorb a lot of the water. It will sink eventually.

Back
Top Bottom