Skinny Otos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is true about it taking a bit of time. Which is why you want to leave it in there for a couple days. And keep reintroducing it.

Are they pooping at all?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That is true about it taking a bit of time. Which is why you want to leave it in there for a couple days. And keep reintroducing it.

Are they pooping at all?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok thanks I'll give it another go. Not sure re the poop - I've not seen it.

Nibbling on the glass is eating!! Biofilm!

I wonder if the reason I never see algae is because they eat the traces. I had 3 Otos clear 12 square inches of diatoms overnight once.

They definitely work fast. I keep zucchini in my tank three days a week and I have still not seen algae since I bought the otos. My understanding is they mostly eat the biofilm. Before my otos there was a slimy layer all around my tank glass, but now it is spick-n-span.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Try the smooth rocks in a sunny window trick. Sunlight grows Algae very fast in shallow water. Try Rapashy gel diets. Mine loved them !!

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 more ideas

I had probs with my otos too. I notice you had another tank. Take ßome decorations out of the other tank and put them in the oto tank. Algae will be on them.
My other idea would be to try sushi wrappers, miy fish like them more then anything as they are a water plant. Good luck!

I had probs with my otos too. I notice you had another tank. Take ßome decorations out of the other tank and put them in the oto tank. Algae will be on them.
My other idea would be to try sushi wrappers, miy fish like them more then anything as they are a water plant. Good luck!

Thanks and good ideas! Nothing I can move from the 60g though - despite the pic online now I only have live plants and only 2 big pieces of wood too large for the 10g. But I like the sushi wrapper idea though. I will try that. Thanks!

Interested in hearing how the sushi goes as well. Mine have been on a steady diet of nothing (i.e., biofilm) for years now. They refuse to eat anything I try to feed them. They seem perfectly healthy - neither fat nor skinny.

Well I'm pleased to report that I put more zucchini in the tank yesterday......and they finally found it!! Today I've seen both the otos and my cories nibbling on it. Phew!

Thanks for the help everyone.....

Glad it worked out, any theories why today was different?

I cut off the skin first time thinking it would make it easier for them but saw someone say they like the skin so left it on this time. Maybe that as they ate all the skin this time. Stripped it clean off over a couple days.

Back
Top Bottom