slab of frozen bloodworms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bambithegirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello! I just bought some bloodworms for my new betta but it comes in a slab of 2cmx2cm squares. Just wondering how much to give my betta/how big the piece is I must cut off?

They break up quite a bit in water, make sure it's not jumbo bw's or you'll have to chop them up a bit , I just cut mine up with a razor blade, for feeding one fish maybe try shaving a little bit off a time with a sharp knife?

Thanks yes I only have one Betta. So I am aiming to cut off pellet sized bits and should I thaw it first before giving it to him?

Nice. I'll hijack this thread a little. I have 9 juvenile Neon Tetras, 6 Kuhli loaches, 4 Harlequin Rasboras and a juvenile Bristlenose Pleco. How much should i feed to them?

Second question, should i feed some to my comets as a treat? I think i read about someone else that does.

Nice. I'll hijack this thread a little. I have 9 juvenile Neon Tetras, 6 Kuhli loaches, 4 Harlequin Rasboras and a juvenile Bristlenose Pleco. How much should i feed to them? Second question, should i feed some to my comets as a treat? I think i read about someone else that does.
The upper fish are going to inhale most if it before it gets down to the bottom, I feed as much as they can massacre in 20-30 seconds, and they do massacre it, the temp in my tank actually has gone up .2 degrees when I feed blood worms!i do not know about goldfish and bw's though..

You must have an extremely good thermo if it can accurate judge a rise in tank temp based off of feeding actions lol. My temp fluctuates 0.1 - 0.8°c constantly.
Back when I was setting up it got a bad thermometer and it really screwed a tank up, being that I'm crazy I went out and bought a 22$ digital get up, it's pretty accurate. It doesn't change anymore, I'm guessing it was from my rainbows (rehomed) they were nuts during feeding..

to feed a pea or not

Everyone seems to have very strong opposite opinions about feeding a bit of crushed pea to bettas once a week. Any thoughts?

If I did go for the pea, does this schedule seem ok?

Monday : fast
Tuesday: 3 pellets
Wednesday: crushed pea
Thursday: 2 pellets
Friday: 3 Pellets
Saturday: 2-3bloodworms (depending on size)
Sunday: 2 pellets

My guy is quite small and he is VERY active. I only introduced blood worms for the first time yesterday and he absolutely loved them.

Back when I was setting up it got a bad thermometer and it really screwed a tank up, being that I'm crazy I went out and bought a 22$ digital get up, it's pretty accurate. It doesn't change anymore, I'm guessing it was from my rainbows (rehomed) they were nuts during feeding..

Fish are ectothermic. They produce no heat. Eating or not. I assure you your fish were not heating your aquarium.

Fish are ectothermic. They produce no heat. Eating or not. I assure you your fish were not heating your aquarium.
At any rate the temp changed in that moment, perhaps the frozen food had something to do with it. I'm currently searching out some type of hydrothermal disturbance that could result in temp fluctuations. I'll let you know;)

At any rate the temp changed in that moment, perhaps the frozen food had something to do with it. I'm currently searching out some type of hydrothermal disturbance that could result in temp fluctuations. I'll let you know;)

Oh my god just kill me now!

:D

You know those digital thermometers don't just hover at the tank temp. If your tank temp is 80F the thermometer will range from 80-80.9 or so, and will gradually climb .1,.2.,.3 and then cycle all over again.

You know those digital thermometers don't just hover at the tank temp. If your tank temp is 80F the thermometer will range from 80-80.9 or so, and will gradually climb .1,.2.,.3 and then cycle all over again.
It usually holds pretty steady at 79-79.2

Well, it's still 1,000,000 times more likely that your thermometer had a glitch than it is that your fish consuming food somehow increased the aquarium termperature. :D

The heat was generated by the excited individual watching the feasting fish. Obviously. :silly:

Back
Top Bottom