Slime, Fungus, Algae, or Bacteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Van_ace_hoy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all! I'm new to this forum, hoping that I can get some answers on something that has been growing in tank for a few months now.

What I'm noticing is that it prefers light, it's a dark grey or black color and very slimy in some areas but the stuff growing on my filter is white.

I don't know the exact readings in my tank but I do know that the pH is very low and my ammonia is high. My last test said the Nitrites and Nitrates were at 0. My KH and GH are also low. My fish have been dying and I suspect that the stuff growing in my tank might be the cause.

I have a ten gallon tank that wasn't fully cycled. The remaining fish I have are two oto cats and a guppy.. the rest of my fish have died.

Any idea what this is and what I can do to have it completely removed?

There's pictures attached...

Thanks,
Sav

Attachments

• IMG_1548.jpg
    IMG_1548.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_1549.jpg
    IMG_1549.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 192
I'm thinking the fungus is a separate issue and may be a result of water quality.
Based on the results and the omission of an ammonia result I'm guessing that you are using test strips. Anyhow, in an uncycled tank, the ammonia is most likely the culprit. I would recommend frequent, large water changes. As in 25-50% daily. And get an ammonia test kit (liquid based). Much more accurate. Better yet, get the API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

I'm thinking the fungus is a separate issue and may be a result of water quality.
Based on the results and the omission of an ammonia result I'm guessing that you are using test strips. Anyhow, in an uncycled tank, the ammonia is most likely the culprit. I would recommend frequent, large water changes. As in 25-50% daily. And get an ammonia test kit (liquid based). Much more accurate. Better yet, get the API Freshwater Master Test Kit.
I actually do have that test kit, I just haven't checked the ammonia or pH levels in the last week and a half. My last test was saying the pH was a 6 and Ammonia was 4ppm. My tank has been hovering at those levels for quite some time. I do plan on doing st least a 50% change and I bought some mineral boosting supplements. I'm more concerned with the lack of minerals in my tank with a low KH and GH. I'm assuming once I add back minerals my pH will rise and my ammonia levels may reset. I just don't understand why the GH and KH was so low to begin with..

That is why testing is so very critical. Without knowing any of the current parameters, you are subjecting all your fish and other inhabitants to an inhumane and cruel death!

I'm aware, I run tests several times a month Generally. That still doesn't answer my question of what is growing in my tank and why the hardness of my water is low because I want to stop the cause of that. My tank has been hovering at the same tested levels for more than two months no matter what I did to fix the problem. It's safe to assume my readings are still accurate at pH of 6 and ammonia is 4 ppm.

I think your first concern should be the high ammonia. Depending on the species, toxicity can occur at much lower levels (0.5-1.0 ppm?). I would do water changes to bring that down.
Perhaps your source water is very soft, thus the low hardness. Low GH/KH can lead to pH fluctuations. You could add some crushed coral to raise the pH and provide some pH buffering.
Regarding the filter, how often is maintenance performed? Are you rinsing the cartridge in conditioned water (or water removed from a water change) or are you simply replacing them with new ones? If it is the latter, then that is why the ammonia is elevated.
I did not address the fungus because that is minor compared to the current water quality.

Most definitely take care of the ammonia first, I agree with the prior posts that's a far more important issue.

Most definitely take care of the ammonia first, I agree with the prior posts that's a far more important issue.
Agreed. The white stuff is the least of your concern.

Is your tap water ran through a water softener? Or an RO unit? That might be the problem. Test your tap water to see what the gh/kH is and work from there on what to add to your tank to raise those levels

The slime is probably blue green algae. That is actually a cyanobacteria,and they can photosynthesise. They also can propagate extremely rapidly. Does your tank has a distinct smell, like sewer like smell?
Also, at a very low pH the nitrifying bacterial colony that are going to take care of your ammonia and nitrite are compromised. That ammonia level has to be brought down as soon as possible. Please perform large water changes several times a week ,and , as others have suggested raise the hardness of your water, Crushed coral, Epsom salt and baking soda, all will help there. It is quite hard to get rid of blue green algae. You may consider blacking the tank out completely for several days to kill them off. But the ammonia is the most pressing concern as of now. Once that is taken care of, and the tank finished cycling, things will become far more manageable.

With a ph that low it is difficult for the tank to complete the cycle. I would first check your tap water or whatever source you are using for the water. If the ph out of the tap is low then you are going to need to add something to raise it slightly with each water change. If the ammonia out of your water source is high I have no idea how to fix that, if its zero though you should do 50% water changes daily until its at least at 1 then 25% daily until the cycle completes itself and ammonia goes to zero. You could always buy ro water from your lfs and put different additives in it to make it what you want it to be, ro water at our lfs is $.50 a gallon. Anyway that black and white stuff is algae/ mold and only way to get rid is better water quality and less light until you get the cycle and water parameters in equilibrium.

And the only reason i say change the water until ammmonia is 0.5- 1 is to have some there for the bacteria to feed from so it cycles.

Just thinking it's going to be hard to remove without disturbing your filter bacterial population.

If you could I would set up a second filter and see if you can grab some cycled filter media from somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom