Slow Load Times

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheIrishJedi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've only been a member here for a day or so, but I was wondering if the extreme load delays that I experienced all day long were normal here? I mean, It took 10 minutes for me to load up the forums & threads using two different browsers on a broadband connection.

What browsers are you using? I have never had lag times. You can try clearing your cookies and internet temp files and see if that helps.

I've only been a member here for a day or so, but I was wondering if the extreme load delays that I experienced all day long were normal here? I mean, It took 10 minutes for me to load up the forums & threads using two different browsers on a broadband connection.

If you're maxing out your connection downloading torrents of po...er, linux distributions, you might want to limit your download rate to ~80% of total max and limit your upload rate to about 70% of max, and it'll be ok.
To test if it _is_ your downloader, try stopping all torrent clients and accessing this site.

Clearing cookies and/or temp files won't really help at all.

I was about to start a new post because I have the same problem all the time. :confused:

I have been on this forum for the past couple weeks and 99% of the time the posts wont load. Its either a blank page with the top logo, or it takes so long that my connection times out. I have cable Internet and this is the only site I ever have trouble with. I will hit the New Posts link and 99% of the time I have to hit reload about 4 times before anything comes up because I get the blank page or timed out. I had to reload twice to get this reply to load. If I get an email notice of a reply, I hit the link and it just does not load up. I use Firefox browser. I then tried this site with IE, but same thing. Is it maybe something in my protection properties? I have cleaned all my cashes, cookie, etc to no improvement.

After awhile I will just give up on the site because of this. I have not explored the site much because of this.

Any ideas?? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

For me it is any time I come on here. Even if it is the only program running. That is why I think maybe my Internet protection is blocking it or something??

What browser are you using? I'm using latest firefox and have had no issues, at home or work. I'd be curious to see if we can figure this out. There has to be something on the user end. It seems like the site is fast in general for me.

even i seem to be facing that problem. i'm on a 2mbps DSL line and quad core processor unit with 4GB ram. the other forums i log into dont take much time to load. i am guessing its slow due to the high traffic the forum has.

We are on a dedicated 25mbps connection at work and there is no delay in navigating the pages on this site. Even from home on my comcast cable (10mbps) it is just as fast. I'm not sure what the server specs are for this site but I'm sure it is more than adequate for the amount of traffic.

Not sure what the problem is then. Like I said, this site loads instantly for me. Might be your geographical location that comes into play here. I noticed a while back before Social Knowledge and Andy R took over that the site was slower. After that things seemed to have sped up a bit.

Can you tell me what internet provider you have? We have had several reports of slow downs with comcast and their subsidiaries and are still trying to trouble shoot this. Any info would be help full..

i have verizon fios. it happens with chrome and firefox at night 12-2 ish at times pst. not all the time but here or there.

I use comcast as well but haven't had any issues.
Keep in mind, both cable and FIOS are on a shared "pipe" so the more folks on the pipe can slow down the traffic.
What is really stumping me is the fact it is only this one site....

At work its a 25mpbs dedicated line from Consolidated Comm. and at home Comcast cable. Never had any problems with firefox. Only time I remember it being slow was before the change in owners.

I use comcast as well but haven't had any issues.
Keep in mind, both cable and FIOS are on a shared "pipe" so the more folks on the pipe can slow down the traffic.
What is really stumping me is the fact it is only this one site....
lol must not know much about fios there is no slow time. i get max connection at all times and it holds true to everyone i heard so far. even if that was the case its only this site and it is only late at night where the traffic would be down anyways.

I hear ya, but I actually work for Verizon and believe me, it is a shared infrastructure, unlike our UUNet backbone. FIOS is great and has huge bandwidth, but there will come a time when the fiber will become oversubscribed (not any time in the near future).....

maybe when everyone starts switching to the rumored 100mbs they been testing. while it maybe shared like you said huge bandwidth. even if it slowed down in half it still shouldnt cause a page to take forever to load.

Back
Top Bottom